Make your Christmas tree look extra-festive this season with a custom-made tree skirt. We’ve got a tutorial for a simple-sew tree skirt that is so quick to make you’ll still have plenty of time for all your Christmas gift shopping!
Making your own Christmas tree skirt allows you to perfectly coordinate the skirt with the rest of your holiday decorations and your personal style. You can use traditional colors for a classic look, go modern with a contemporary print or bright colors, or meet in the middle with a dark red print in a geometric pattern.
We made our tree skirt for the Christmas tree that sits in the Sailrite lobby during the holidays. We chose this P/K Lifestyles fabric, Samba Campari, for it’s traditional red color and playful pattern. You can finish the edge of your tree skirt with a hem, a scallop, binding, or even fringe. We opted to use a white binding to bring out the white in our fabric.
If you want, you can add a closure system to your tree skirt. We added a single tie to ours, but you can add more ties, Velcro®, or leave it as is.
Take a look at the video and see how it’s done:
- Patterning Skirt - 0:15 min.
- Sewing Binding - 1:08 min.
- Sewing Ties - 4:42 min.
- Materials List - 5:45 min.
- Home decor fabric (we used P/K Lifestyles Samba Campari 55" Fabric #104700)
- V-69 polyester #20203 or nylon #106130 thread
- Binding (we used Sunbrella Acrylic Binding Natural (White) 1" #11200)
- Sewing Machine
- 1" Swing Away Straight Binder #100103
Are you sewing any decorations for the holidays this year? Share your projects and ideas in the comments!