Sew it yourself! This Dodger Skin Kit for a 2-bow frame contains all the materials needed to sew the fabric portion of a dodger including 46-inch-wide Sunbrella® Marine Grade Fabric in a standard color. Skin kits can be used to replace the fabric on an existing dodger frame or can be paired with our Dodger Frame Kit to create a new, custom dodger from start to finish. Dodger tops, also known as sprayhoods, provide protection from the sun and offer shelter from rain and spray.
The Sailrite® Dodger Skin Kit with Sunbrella standard color fabric features zippered tubing sleeves for easy removal and storage and a fabric tail at the aft edge to prevent water from wicking back under the dodger. A vinyl fabric facing along the forward edge, which attaches to the deck, provides reinforcement for fasteners and helps reduce wrinkles. This dodger skin kit is intended to be used with frames that use rigid support struts (included in our Dodger Frame Kit) — webbing strap hardware is not included.
When sewing and fabricating a dodger skin kit, protecting the clear vinyl window material is very important. Because of this, Sailrite includes a protective fabric called Evolution® Block-It® fabric in the kit. This soft material is taped to the clear vinyl to help protect it from accidental scratches that may occur when fabricating the dodger. After the dodger is complete, the Evolution fabric can then be used as a backing to make Sunbrella snap-on window covers if you choose (ordering more Sunbrella may be required and you will need cloth-to-cloth snap fasteners).
Making your own custom dodger skin is easy! This kit includes all the necessary materials such as:
- Sunbrella Marine Grade Fabric
- YKK® zippers
- Sunbrella Binding
- Strataglass™ 40 gauge clear vinyl window material
- DOT® Twist-Lock fasteners for horizontal or vertical surfaces
- Snap fasteners for vertical surfaces
- Evolution Block-It fabric
- And more!
This kit will accommodate a maximum frame width of 84 inches and a nominal height of 40 inches at its maximum spread with a maximum length fore and aft of up to 70 inches (includes the front dodger panel to the deck).
A sewing machine and some common canvas tools are needed for construction (see the "Materials List" and "Tool List" at the end of the complete how-to video to see the full list of supplies tools, both required and recommended). Dodger Skin Kits do not include frames, fittings and rigid supports; those are sold separately or as a complete set in our Dodger Frame Kit. Our finished dodger photos show a few optional features: a roll-up front window (zippers and binding for which are not included) and a rear frame chafing guard strip (Naugahyde® not included). Separate videos show how to add these features and what items need to be ordered additionally. To find these, search #300393XHT or #300398XHT.
Please Note: This Skin Kit should be assembled using the instructional video found on this page. Written instructions are not provided.
- 10 yds. 46" Standard Sunbrella Color — Select color from drop-down menu
- 56 ft. Sunbrella® Acrylic Bias Binding Tape 1" — Select color from drop-down menu
- 9 ft. Webbing Polyester 1" White 1500#
- 1 YKK® Zipper #10 VISLON® 36" White Plastic Single Non-Locking Pull
- 2 YKK® Zipper #10 VISLON® 60" White Plastic Single Non-Locking Pull
- Thread V-92 White Polyester UV
- 1 Strataglass 40 Gauge Vinyl Window Material 54" x 110" Clear
- Dura-Skrim® Patterning Material
- 2 sq. ft. Leather 4-5oz Chrome Pearl Grey
- 1 (10PK) YKK® Zipper #10 VISLON® Stainless Steel Top Stop
- 2 (10PK) DOT® Snap Fastener Cloth-to-Surface Set 3/8" Screw Stud
- 2 (10PK) DOT® Twist Lock Fastener Cloth-to-Surface Set 2 Screw Stud
- 1 (5PK) YKK® Double Side Release Buckle Black 1"
- 1 (10PK) DOT ®Twist Lock Fastener Eyelet (Extended Legs)
- 1 (10PK) DOT® Twist Lock 2 Screw Stud Double High
- 1 yd. Shelter-Rite® White 61" Fabric
- 7 yds. Evolution Block-It Grey 55" Fabric
- 1 (2PK) Sailrite® Woven Sew-In Tags
- 1 Filament Strapping Tape 3/4"
- 2 Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas