How to Make Sailboat Sheet Bags
A sheet bag can be a handy way to keep your lines in order and your cockpit a little more organized. Since most sheet bags allow water to drain, you can also use them stash things that need to dry out. If your boat could use a little more organization, why not sew your own set of sheet bags? It’s a straightforward sewing project that’s great for beginners. Let’s take a closer look at how to build your own sheet bags.
Sailrite® offers an easy-to-order Sheet Bag kit that contains all the materials needed to sew your own sheet bag, including fasteners for installing it on your boat. The Sailrite Sheet Bag kit contains materials to make sheet bags with a Sunbrella® Marine Grade back, in a color of your choice, and a White Phifertex® Mesh fabric for the front. The basic bag design features one large pocket with an elastic top, but you can add extra pockets to enhance your bag to best suit your needs. The kit will make four, 21” W x 18” H bags.
When it comes to installing your bag, we like to secure them to the boat using snap fasteners, specifically YKK® SNAD® adhesive backed studs. These studs are great because you don’t need to drill into your fiberglass to install them, and they’ll remove cleanly if you ever decide to move or remove your sheet bag. Traditional snap buttons and sockets are included in the Sheet Bag Kit, along with YKK SNAD Domed Studs.
Watch our step-by-step how-to video to learn how to sew and install your own sheet bags. In the video, we use the standard design and measurements. But be sure to measure your boat before starting so you can get the best fit for your vessel.
- Patterning Sunbrella & Mesh – 0:24 min.
- Hemming Top Edges – 2:52 min.
- Elastic in Mesh Sleeve – 6:09 min.
- Sewing Mesh to Sunbrella – 7:49 min.
- Sewing Binding using Attachment – 10:40 min.
- Sewing Binding without Attachment – 12:46 min.
- Installing Snaps – 14:38 min.
- Attaching Adhesive Snads – 16:48 min.
- Materials List – 19:10 min.
- Sheet Bag Kit (4 Bags) #103505
- Soapstone Fabric Marking Pencil #102766
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package #103800
- Gingher® Scissors Right Handed #19104
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler #107040
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ-1 PLUS Walking Foot Sewing Machine #300602
- Multiuse Pins #102985
- 1" Swing Away Straight Binder #100103
- Hole Cutter 1/8" (4mm) #102235
- Premium Cutting Block 10" x 10" #103642
- Tape Measure
- Alcohol Prep Pad