Are you looking for a new custom cover for your powerboat? Did you ever think about making one yourself? We’re excited to share with you our first ever powerboat project! Our How to Make a Powerboat Cover video is full of helpful tips, techniques, and step-by-step instructions for making a perfectly snug cover.
There are many benefits to making your own custom powerboat cover. Covers from big box stores can be a close fit to your boat but they rarely fit just right. Custom covers from a canvas shop will be made for your vessel but they can be really expensive. By making the cover yourself you can use the highest quality materials for the best price and have a cover that fits perfectly.
The style of cover featured in the video can be used for trailering, storage, and mooring. It features a snap closure system and adjustable support poles in the interior to prevent water from pooling on the cover. Learn how to pattern the cover on the boat with fabric (5:56), how to create darts (23:00), how to add chafe protection (33:53), how to install snaps and support poles (1:06:55) and more!
- Taking Measurements - 0:24 min.
- Sewing Panels Together - 2:46 min.
- Patterning - 5:56 min.
- Sewing Darts - 23:00 min.
- Sewing Chafe Patches - 33:53 min.
- Patterning & Sewing Ladder Cover - 40:32 min.
- Creating Vents - 53:08 min.
- Making Side Skirt - 57:47 min.
- Installing Snaps & Poles - 1:06:55 min.
- Materials List - 1:14:46 min.
- Boat exterior fabric (we like Surlast, Sunbrella, or Top Gun)
- Outdoor thread (V-92 #100079 or Tenara #16211)
- Phifertex mesh material (we used Phifertex Vinyl Mesh Black 54" Fabric)
- Filament Strapping Tape 3/4" #5643
- Webbing Polypropylene 2" Black 800# #204420
- 3" Shelter-Rite tape (black #104222 or white #104223)
- 1/8" Leech line (black #21209 or white #21209)
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas & Upholstery #129
- SnapRite® Snap Fastener Button Silver 1/4" Barrel (Nickel) #104154
- Snap fastener sockets
- #2 Grommets (brass #26309, Nickel #26316, or Stainless Steel #354211)
- Cam-Lock Support Poles - Snap & Swedge Tip #105131
- Sewing Machine
- Soapstone pencil #102766 or marking chalk #102464
- Spring Clamps #50211
- Sailrite Edge Hotknife #103800
- Sailrite SnapRite System #104237
- Die Set Spur #2 #18203
- Hole Cutter 3/8" #18211
- Premium Cutting Block 10" x 10" #103642
Have any of you made a custom boat cover before? Share your tips and advice in the comments!