How to Make a Powerboat Cover
Are you looking for a new custom cover for your powerboat? Did you ever think about making one yourself? We’re excited to share with you our first ever powerboat project! Our "How to Make a Powerboat Cover" video tutorial is full of helpful tips, techniques and step-by-step instructions for making a perfectly snug cover. Join us in this fun marine DIY project!
There are many benefits to making your own custom powerboat cover. Covers from big box stores can be a close fit to your boat, but they rarely fit just right. Custom covers from a canvas shop will be made for your vessel, but they can be really expensive. By making the cover yourself, you can use the highest quality materials for the best price and have a cover that fits perfectly. Plus, you get the satisfaction and pride of conquering this DIY project and telling people you made it yourself!
The style of cover featured in the video can be used for trailering, storage and mooring. It features a snap closure system and adjustable support poles in the interior to prevent water from pooling on the cover. This is a very important feature of powerboat covers. Learn how to pattern the cover on the boat with fabric (5:56), how to create darts (23:00), how to add chafe protection (33:53), how to install snaps and support poles (1:06:55), and more!
- Taking Measurements - 0:24 min.
- Sewing Panels Together - 2:46 min.
- Patterning - 5:56 min.
- Sewing Darts - 23:00 min.
- Sewing Chafe Patches - 33:53 min.
- Patterning & Sewing Ladder Cover - 40:32 min.
- Creating Vents - 53:08 min.
- Making Side Skirt - 57:47 min.
- Installing Snaps & Poles - 1:06:55 min.
- Materials List - 1:14:46 min.
- Boat exterior fabric (we like Sur Last®, Sunbrella® or Top Gun®)
- Outdoor thread (V-92 #100079 or Lifetime Thread)
- Phifertex® mesh material (we used Phifertex Vinyl Mesh Black 54" Fabric)
- Filament Strapping Tape 3/4" #5643
- Webbing Polypropylene 2" Black 800# #204420
- 3" Shelter-Rite® tape (black #104222 or white #104223)
- 1/8" Leech line (black #21209 or white #21209)
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas & Upholstery #129
- SnapRite® Snap Fastener Button Silver 1/4" Barrel (Nickel) #104154
- Snap fastener sockets
- #2 Grommets (brass #26309, Nickel #26316, or Stainless Steel #354211)
- Cam-Lock® Support Poles - Snap & Swedge Tip #105131
- Sewing Machine
- Soapstone pencil #102766 or marking chalk #102464
- Spring Clamps #50211
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife #103800
- Sailrite® SnapRite® System #104237
- Die Set Spur #2 #18203
- Hole Cutter 3/8" #18211
- Premium Cutting Block 10" x 10" #103642
Have any of you made a custom boat cover before? Share your tips and advice in the comments!