How to Make Wine Bottle Gift Bags
Don’t show up empty-handed to holiday parties this year! Grab a bottle of wine or champagne as a host/hostess gift and toss it in this easy-to-sew fabric gift bag. This gift bag can be made from fabric scraps from other projects and will add a festive flair to your bottle. Our step-by-step photo tutorial will show you how to make a DIY fabric gift bag.
This is a great beginner sewing project. You only need a handful of supplies to make this DIY wine bag. You could really have a lot of fun mixing and matching the fabric for the bag and the bow for different occasions and holidays. Or instead of sewing a strip of fabric for the bow, you can use ribbon to tie the wine bottle bag closed. It's up to you!
Wine Bottle Gift Bag Materials:
- 33 x 8-inch piece of decorative fabric for wine bag
- 36 x 3-inch strip of coordinating fabric for bow
- Rotary Cutter (#9655)
- Cutting Mat (#120257)
- Acrylic Ruler (#102400)
- Sewing Pins (#122795)
- Sewing Machine
How to Sew a Gift Bag
1. Cut your fabric so it measures 33 x 8 inches. A rotary cutter and cutting mat make quick work of cutting and ensure straight lines.
2. Fold over a 1/2-inch hem on each short side of your fabric. Make sure you fold the hems to the wrong side of your fabric. Pin the hem in place.
3. Take your fabric to your sewing machine and sew a straight stitch down each hem to secure it in place.
4. Fold your fabric piece in half widthwise (16 inches x 8 inches) with right sides facing and bring the hemmed edges together.
5. Sew down each unstitched side of the fabric with a 1/2-inch seam allowance.
6. Turn your bag right side out, making sure to poke out the corners. Place a bottle of wine or champagne in the bag.
How to Make a Fabric Bow
7. Cut your bow fabric so it measures 36 x 3 inches. Fold the strip in half lengthwise with right sides together and pin the layers in place.
8. Sew along the length with a 1/2-inch seam allowance. Turn the tube right side out and push out the corners. Fold the small ends in about 1 inch and stitch along the ends.
9. Tie the fabric bow around the neck of the wine bottle. You now have a beautiful and festive fabric wine bag to give as a gift at your next holiday party!
How fun was this fabric scrap buster project!? Be sure to share a photo of your fabric wine bag on social media and tag us using #Sailrite so we can see what you're making!