How to Make an RV Roller Shade
Welcome back to our 1987 Argosy Airstream Renovation Series! In today's tutorial, we're making a new roller shade for the bedroom in our RV. Roller shades are an easy way to add much-needed shade and temperature control for your RV interior. Join us as we revamp our RV bedroom windows with this easy, no-sew DIY roller shade project.
Roller shades look great in just about every room — bedrooms, living rooms, kitchens and more. They are also one of the easiest window treatments to make, so if you are new to DIY this is a great beginner project. In fact, this is a no-sew project! All you need is your fabric of choice, a Roller Shade Clutch Kit from Sailrite®, leech line, and some basic sewing tools and notions.
Our Roller Shade Clutch Kits include all the hardware you need to complete your roller shade. We offer kits in a variety of sizes to fit most windows. For our roller shade fabric, we chose Phifertex® Plus. This vinyl-coated polyester boasts excellent dimensional stability, and it's easy to cut with a very high shade factor, making it a great choice for roller shades and other shade applications. Search "roller shade fabric" on the Sailrite website to explore our entire selection and find the right fabric for your roller shade.
Watch the video below and discover how easy it is to make a no-sew roller shade for your RV, camper, office, living room or wherever you need shade.
Be sure to check out the other projects in our 1987 Airstream Argosy Renovation Series! We're renovating this trailer from top to bottom, inside and out. Whether you need a total RV overhaul or you're just looking for a small refresh, you won't want to miss any of the how-to videos in our RV renovation series.
- Measuring, Selecting Kit & Fabric — 0:48 min.
- Mounting Brackets — 2:50 min.
- Cutting Fabric to Size — 4:42 min.
- Cutting Roller & Drop Rail — 7:37 min.
- Attaching the Fabric to the Roller — 8:43 min.
- Installing the Bottom Drop Rail — 10:02 min.
- Inserting Ball Chain in Clutch — 13:59 min.
- Installing Shade — 17:34 min.
- Installing Guide Lines (optional) — 20:02 min.
- Materials & Tools List — 25:45 min.
- Roller Shade Fabric from Sailrite (we used Phifertex® Plus #3040726)
- Roller Shade Clutch Kit from Sailrite (we used 60" Kit #107147)
- Leech Line Dacron® 5/64" White (#21207)
- Cord Adjuster Orb (#120065)
- Comfort Grip Rotary Cutter 60mm (#9655)
- Self Healing Rotary Cutting Mat 24" x 36" (#120257)
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" (#102400)
- Scribe All® Black Marking Pencil for Vinyl (#121977)
- Screw Eyes or Eyebolts — Trade Size 212-½” (6 per shade)
- Pencil, Drill & Bits, Tape Measure, L Square, Marker, Hacksaw, Scissors, Stapler, Staples