You may also like
3M™ General Trim Adhesive is a clear, high-strength spray adhesive that works great for gluing lightweight headliners and fabrics. 3M General Trim Adhesive is non-staining, as well as heat- and moisture-resistant. This is a great glue for adhering headliner material to your bulkhead and for adhering polyurethane foam, Dry Fast foam and Closed Cell foam to itself. It bonds materials such as lightweight carpeting and lightweight headliners, including cloth-backed vinyl and foam-backed vinyl headliner. 3M General Trim bonds fabric and plastics to themselves, wood, fiberglass and metal surfaces. Good soak in control, minimizing possibility of bleed through.
Sailrite® has tested and approved 3M General Trim Adhesive for use with any of our headliner materials. For 72-inch-wide headliners, you can cover 1-1/2 yards per can. For 54-inch-wide headliners, you can cover 3 yards per can.
Note: This product is not recommended for polyethylene, polypropylene or polystyrene foam.
Shipping Note: This item is flammable. Flammable items can only be shipped Ground to the 48 contiguous United States. This item cannot ship via Post Office.
- High Strength Adhesive
- Great for lightweight headliners and carpets
- Heat and moisture resistant
Directions for Use:
- 1. Clean bonding surfaces with 3M™ Specialty Adhesive Remover (#108984) to remove dust, dirt, oil, etc., before application of the adhesive.
- 2. Remove cover and turn nozzle to desired spray pattern, which is printed on the inside rim of the can.
- 3. Shake can well before each use and periodically during use.
- 4. Hold can 6-12 inches from the surface and apply a light to moderate coating of adhesive overlapping the spray pattern on each pass.
- 5. Apply adhesive to one or both surfaces as desired. Applying to both surfaces produces a much stronger bond and is recommended whenever possible. Sailrite recommends applying two coats of adhesive to each surface, applying the second coat in the opposite direction of the first.
- 6. Allow the product to dry between coats if multiple coats are needed to provide sufficient adhesive for bonding. It is better to apply multiple coats than to apply one heavy coat of product. Most applications perform best with 3 coats of adhesive in areas with protrusions or depressions.
- 7. Allow the adhesive to dry until tacky but will not transfer to your skin when touched (typically 1-15 minutes).
- 8. Bond surfaces using firm, uniform pressure.
- 9. To prevent the spray nozzle from blocking: At the end of each day, turn the can upside down and press the tip until spray is clear from adhesive. Clean the spray tip with turpentine.
- 10. Excess adhesive and overspray can be removed from hard surfaces using 3M™ Specialty Adhesive Remover (#108984).
|Coverage:||Approximately 30 square feet (covering both surfaces vertically and horizontally)|
|Max Service Temperature:||160° F|
|Becomes Tacky:||1-15 minutes|
|Bonding Time Range (after tacky):||30 minutes (two surfaces)|
|Storage/Shelf Life:||Room Temp, 12 months|
|Overspray Removal:||3M Specialty Adhesive Remover|
|Adhesive Type:||Synthetic Elastomer|
|Substitute:||Headliner Adhesive #1875|
Flammable items can ONLY be shipped Ground to the 48 contiguous United States.
Gluing Test for Dry Fast / Open Cell Foam
Shows using 3M General Trim Adhesive, 3M Super Trim Adhesive and A & E Contact Cement to glue Dry Fast / Open Cell Foam together. The conclusion of this video shows test results of how well the adhesives hold up when being ripped apart.
Installing Vinyl Nauga Soft as a Headliner on a Boat
How to install vinyl Nauga Soft as a headliner in your boat. This video will show you the steps needed to install your own vinyl headliner in a boat.
Installing Removable Cabin Headliner in a Boat
How to install removable cabin headliner in a boat. The goal is to insulate between each of the plywood furing strips and then fashion laminate (like Formica) into panels spanning each furing pair. These panels will be covered with Naugasoft vinyl. Then we will secure them in place with Velcro so they can be easily removed to access bolts securing deck hardware.
Not cheap but it works
As most 3M products, this is a quality fabric adhesive.
This product works great, but a little more information about coverage per can would have been useful, I used 5 cans to attach ~5 yards long x 2 yards wide. The sail rite video on how to install this was very useful.
It's what you expect from 3M
Worked like a champ. Spray cut a very fine line
Excellent adhesive but pricey
Great delivery time considering the pandemic. We are living on our sailboat in the Chula Vista Marina in San Diego and replacing all the headliner. Keeping us busy while we wait. Thanks for being here for us. Judy White
Used spray horizontally then vertically for a good spread. Gets tacky enough to apply cloth in 5 minutes. Very good adhesive.
My first experience with this product - simplifies everything.
Follow the directions
Product works as advertised. As long as you follow the directions and allow it to tack up for a minute or two it holds extraordinarily well. I'm assuming it will hold up over time as I have yet to find a product at Sailrite that doesn't meet expectation.