How to Add a Fabric Border to an Outdoor Rug Video
After a winter cooped up inside, many families want to spend as much time as possible outdoors in the fresh air during the spring and summer months. To help give one family stylish, useful outdoor living space we madeover two zones on their patio, first a covered dining area and then we expanded out onto the adjacent patio space. You can follow along with the DIY projects we did to turn this patio into a gorgeous space the family loves.
Our makeover started from the ground up—literally. We started by adding an outdoor area rug to make the space feel more like an interior room. The rug also helps to create a dining zone in the larger porch area. We decided to start with an expensive rug from a hardware store and add a fabric border to make the rug look nicer and to tie it in to our overall color scheme. Our rug had a relatively low pile, so it was easy to sew with the Ultrafeed® LS-1 Sewing Machine. For the fabric border we chose to use Sunbrella Upholstery fabric because of its excellent durability.
In this video, you will learn how to prepare the rug for sewing, calculate the needed fabric, sew the edging and nicely finish the corners. In making our project, we realized that to create a cleaner finished topside of the rug, we should have marked on the underside of the rug and sewed the fabric to it first. You can make this change when you sew your rug.
To see more projects from this Expanded Dining Area Patio makeover, look in the "More Helpful How-Tos" section.
- Prepping Rug & Fabric - 0:33 min.
- Sewing Edging - 3:36 min.
- Creating Hem & Sewing Opposite Side - 8:48 min.
- Materials List - 11:34 min.
- Outdoor Carpet (or you could use BoatBlanket)
- Outdoor Fabric (we used Sunbrella®)
- V-69 polyester thread
- Seamstick 3/8” Basting Tape for Canvas #129
- Ultrafeed LS-1 PLUS Sewing Machine #300502
- Soapstone Fabric Marking Pencil #102766
- Deluxe 5-1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide #103597
- Tape measure