How to Make Pillow Inserts or Pillow Forms
Adding decorative pillows is a quick and easy way to bring new colors and textures to a room. Pillows are a popular DIY project because they are easy to sew. But did you know that you can sew your own pillow inserts? Yep, the form that gives the pillow its puffy shape can be a DIY project too! Making your own pillow insert allows you to make pillows of any size and shape, even something unusual or irregular.
In this video we’re going to show you how easy it is to make your own high-quality pillow forms. We made our pillow forms out of Spun Bonded Pillow Protector Fabric (#122176) and stuffed them with polyester fiberfill (#104467). Both of these materials are non-allergenic and machine washable.
How to Make a Pillow Insert in 5 Easy Steps:
- Cut the pillow protector fabric to size.
- Sew the sides shut, leaving an opening to insert the fiberfill.
- Turn the cover right side out.
- Stuff with fiberfill until the desired look is achieved.
- Sew the opening shut.
- Spun Bonded Pillow Protector Fabric #122176
- V-46, V-69 or Monofilament Thread
- Polyester Fiberfill #104467
- Multiuse 1-1/2" Pins #102985
- Deluxe 5-1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide #103597
- Sewing Machine, Scissors, Ruler, Pencil
Do you make lots of throw pillows? Ever make your own pillow forms? Share your ideas with us in the comments!