How to Make a Cover for a Curved Patio Set
Nice, high-quality patio furniture can be quite an investment. Keep your patio set looking vibrant and new for longer by covering it when not in use. A good cover will protect your furniture from dirt, rain, snow, bird droppings and the harsh UV rays of the sun. We’ve shared tutorials on patio furniture covers before for a table and chairs, but this video focuses on how to make a cover with shape for a curved patio set.
Making your own patio furniture cover gives you the best fitting cover because it’s a completely custom design. This is especially great for more unique furniture pieces or sets with a lot of shape like our curved sectional. In our cover design, we secure the cover with a shock cord around the bottom, as well as with Velcro® straps that wrap around the legs of the sectional to keep the cover secure, even in high winds.
When selecting the fabric for your patio furniture cover, look for a material that is both water resistant and breathable. Sunbrella® Marine Grade and Sur Last® fabrics are both great options for this project. Using a fully waterproof fabric, like a vinyl, is great for water protection but it won’t breathe. This allows moisture to get trapped underneath the cover, which can cause mold and mildew growth. If you want to use a vinyl fabric, we recommend installing vents in the cover to help with airflow.
- Patterning Top – 0:25 min.
- Patterning & Sewing Front – 6:19 min.
- Patterning & Sewing Back – 9:23 min.
- Joining Sections – 14:40 min.
- Patterning & Sewing Sides – 18:10 min.
- Creating Sleeve for Tensioning Cord – 24:12 min.
- Sewing Velcro Ties – 30:47 min.
- Materials List – 35:30 min.
- Outdoor Cover Fabric (we used Sur Last® Light Grey 60" Marine Fabric #386200)
- V-69 Polyester Thread (we used white #20203)
- Shock Bungee Cord 1/4" #29304
- Polyester Black Loop 1" #105036
- Polyester Black Hook 1" #105035
- Tape Measure 120 Inch #102986
- Multiuse Pins 1 1/2" #102985
- Marking Chalk for Fabrics #102464
- Gingher® Scissors Right Handed #19104
- Spring Clamp #50211
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LS-1 PLUS Walking Foot Sewing Machine #300502
- Sewing Gauge Ruler 6" #102995
- Comfort Grip Rotary Cutter 60mm #9655
- Cutting Mat 18" x 24" #102990
Love the patio set that we covered? Learn how we made those curved seat and backrest cushions in our companion video, "How to Make Cushions for a Curved Patio Set" (#200702).