How to Make a No-Sew Christmas Countdown
Remember when you were a little kid and you just couldn’t wait for Christmas to come? You could make a paper chain or open the doors of an advent calendar to count down the days. Today we have a reusable, no-sew idea for a Christmas countdown or advent calendar that you can make for your kids, grandkids, or even just for yourself!
For this Christmas countdown we made 25 little fabric pouches, one for each day in December leading up to Christmas. Inside the pouches you can hide candy, gifts or even ideas for holiday activities. We added an ornament hook to the back of the pouches so you can hang them on a tree or a garland to make a display.
There are many different ways to modify this project to make it your own. For example, we used two different fabrics, but you could make your pouches all look the same, or you could use up scrap fabrics and have each pouch be unique! Also, we used tags to display the numbers, but you could use a fabric marker and write the numbers on the bag or use iron-on numbers. The possibilities are endless!
Christmas Countdown Materials:
- 2 yards of fabric (or enough to make 25 11” circles)
- Cardboard or something to make a template
- Pinking Shears #100526
- Christmas Candy or other filler
- Tags or other numbers
- Ornament Hooks (optional)
How to Make a Christmas Countdown
1. Create a template for your circles. On a piece of cardboard, measure out a circle that is 11 inches in diameter and cut it out.
2. Using your template, trace your circles on the fabric. If you stagger the circles and keep them close, you can get all 25 on two yards of a 54” fabric.
3. Cut out the circles using pinking shears.
4. Take one circle and lay it out flat. Place several pieces of candy or a small prize in the center of the circle.
5. Gather the fabric around the candy, cinching it with your hand right above the candy, creating a little round pouch.
6. Wrap a length of twine tightly around the bag where your hand was, to cinch the pouch tightly shut. Tie the twine in a bow so it’s secure but easy to untie later.
7. Prep your number tag. We used pre-made tags and I wrote the numbers on them with a marker. Tie your number to the twine, and snip off any excess string from the number.
8. If you want to hang your bags from a tree or garland, slide an ornament hook under the twine at the back of the bag. Pinch the hook shut to secure.
9. Now you’re all set to display your Christmas countdown!
Does your family keep a Christmas countdown? How do you keep track? Share your traditions and stories with us in the comments!