How to Make Upholstered Wall Panels
Transform a plain wall into a custom accent piece by adding upholstered wall panels. Since they can be made to your unique measurements, it’s possible to add them to any indoor space. With some Sailrite® supplies and our colorful array of fabrics, you can add stunning decoration to your home. This step-by-step tutorial will show you how to measure, cut and secure upholstered wall panels to brighten up any living area.
The panels we’ve made in this video attach to the wall using vertical mounting boards and BeauClips (#107156), and the fabric is attached using a staple gun, much like our Sailrite® Short Nose Upholstery Staple Gun (#121410). The BeauClip Panel Mounting System is a simple and durable fastener solution for hanging panels accurately and securely in place to solid surfaces. After installation, the BeauClip securely snaps into place and holds up to 15 pounds per clip, making them perfect for upholstered wall panels.
This project allows you the freedom to customize a space by choosing the fabric that fits your preferences for style and durability. We offer hundreds of home décor fabrics that can be utilized for beautifully upholstered wall panels. In order to match the box cushions already in the room, we used Waverly® Moonstruck Lagoon fabric (#653760) for our wall panels. If you want to create a similar look, watch us craft the box cushions in our “How To Make a Quick and Easy Box Cushion” video (200707XHT).
Go ahead and get creative! We’d love to see the finished product when you’re done.
- Measuring Wall - 0:37 min.
- Determining Panel Size - 1:08 min.
- Cutting Wood to Size - 3:38 min.
- Securing Vertical Mounting Boards - 4:56 min.
- Pre-mounting Panels for BeauClip Hole - 8:01 min.
- Installing BeauClip - 13:23 min.
- Applying Foam & Batting to Panel - 16:10 min.
- Upholstering Wall Panels - 19:54 min.
- Installing - 28:00 min.
- Materials List - 29:05 min.
- Fabric Backed 1/2” Sew Foam 58” - Item # 121507
- Polyester Batting White - Item # 100158
- Foam Lock Spray Adhesive 12oz - Item # 120464
- Decorative Fabric from Sailrite - we used Waverly Moonstruck Lagoon - Item # 653760
- Sailrite® 21 Gauge 1/2" (12mm) Staples 10,000/Box (Galvanized)- Item #8012GZ
- BeauClip Panel Mounting System - Item # 107156 (4 per wall panel)
- Sailrite® Short Nose Upholstery Staple Gun- Item #121410
- Tape Measure, Pencil, Table Saw or Circular Saw, Level, Drill with Bits and Drivers, 1/2” Drill, Wood Screws, Stud Finder, Drill Stop or Tape, Scissors, Electric Kitchen Knife, Permanent Marker, Needle Nose Pliers
- OSB Wood Panel 1/2”
- Pine Board 1 x 3 (actual size 3/4” x 2-1/2”) (2 per each column of wall panels, length equal to height of wall)
- Anchors and Screws (appropriate for your wall)
- #4 x 1/2” Wood Screws Flat Head (32 each per wall panel)