How to Reupholster a Pontoon Corner Bench Base
In this installment of our "Pontoon Upholstery Series," we’re upholstering the base section of our pontoon’s corner seat. This is just one of three videos we created showing you how to reupholster the corner seat on a pontoon. If your backrest (#300487XHT) or seat (#300488XHT) also needs new upholstery, be sure to check out those blogs as well so your entire corner seat can get a fresh new look.
The old vinyl on our pontoon was in pretty bad shape. For our new upholstery, we chose EverSoft™ indoor/outdoor vinyl upholstery fabric only available at Sailrite®. The vinyl is UV, abrasion and stain resistant as well as waterproof — making it a fantastic choice for marine upholstery. There's a lot of shaping and angles on a corner seat, and EverSoft's four-way stretch properties make the vinyl easy to stretch and staple into place.
In this video, we’ll show you how to remove the old vinyl and use it to pattern your new vinyl panels. After sewing the vinyl panels together and stapling the fabric to the pontoon base, we’ll show you a trick for removing wrinkles from vinyl with steam. The final step is hiding the staples with hidem gimp.
Sailrite has all the supplies you need to conquer your next project. From fabric and hardware to sewing machines, tools and notions, we keep everything in stock and ready to ship so you can get started on your DIY journey as quickly as possible!
Let us know if you have any questions as you get to work on this DIY. We're always happy to help our customers tackle their projects. Be sure to post photos of your finished pontoon corner seat in the comments below or on your favorite social media platform. Use #Sailrite so we can see your amazing work!
- Removing Old Vinyl – 0:37 min.
- Patterning New Vinyl – 2:08 min.
- Sewing Panels Together – 5:32 min.
- Stapling Vinyl to Base – 13:52 min.
- Removing Wrinkles with Steam – 27:08 min.
- Hiding Staples with Hidem Gimp – 29:06 min.
- Materials List – 31:06 min.
- EverSoft™ Indoor/Outdoor Off White 54" Vinyl Fabric - (#122211)
- Thread V‑92 Natural Polyester UV 4oz (1,350Yds) - (#106386)
- Fabric Backed 1/4" Sew Foam 58" (5Yds) (#121506)
- Cushion Wrap Silk Film 54" (10Yds) (#103933)
- 21 Gauge 3/8" (10mm) Staples 10,000/Box (Stainless Steel) (#8010SS)
- Staple Lifter (#120037)
- Gingher® Scissors Right Handed Lightweight 8" (#101017)
- Scribe‑All® Black Marking Pencil for Vinyl (#121977)
- Sailrite® Deluxe Fabricator® Sewing Machine Package (110V) - (#400600)
- Sailrite® Long Nose Upholstery Staple Gun (#121411)
- Marker, Razor blade