How to Reupholster the Base of a Pontoon Bench
Ready to transform that old pontoon bench seat from drab to fab? On this portion of our Pontoon Upholstery Series, we're going to walk you through all the procedures necessary to reupholster the base of a pontoon bench seat. In our step-by-step tutorial, we will remove the old vinyl and then pattern the base and sew up the new vinyl and staple it in place.
The first part of our tutorial consists of removing the old, worn-out vinyl from the base of our pontoon bench seat. Since this vinyl was stapled in place, we’ll need to use our staple lifter (#120037) to get rid of all the old materials. To match the rest of our pontoon bench seat, we’re going to be recovering the base of our pontoon bench with EverSoft Indoor/Outdoor vinyl. This soft, supple, waterproof vinyl boasts incredible durability. Part of EverSoft's durability is due to the Nanocide Silver Ion Antimicrobial Agent: an environmentally friendly, extremely effective, nontoxic antimicrobial agent within EverSoft. This special nanotechnology embeds itself into the fabric via nanoparticles to ensure full protection against mold and mildew. It also possesses a Blockade™ special finish to withstand stains and promote cleanability. And because it’s backed by a three-year limited warranty, you can feel secure using EverSoft on many marine projects.
We should also mention that EverSoft possesses fantastic four-way stretch capabilities, which allows it to easily contour around the shape of our base. It won’t sag or puddle and it can be pulled and stapled in place to achieve the desired look. It’s important to understand what amount of stretch is needed for your next vinyl project, so we’ve created a blog to help you. Refer to our informative piece, “How Much Vinyl Stretch is Right For My Project?” (#300403XHT) for more information.
How did your base transformation turn out? Show us photos in the comments below!
- Removing Old Vinyl – 0:56 min
- Patterning Base – 2:32 min
- Cutting New Vinyl – 9:39 min
- Sewing Panels Together – 12:37 min
- Stapling to Base – 19:05 min
- Materials List – 31:19 min
- Seamstick 1/2" Basting Tape for Canvas (36Yds) - (#122066)
- EverSoft Indoor/Outdoor Off White 54" Vinyl Fabric - (#122211)
- Thread V‑92 White Polyester UV 4oz (1,350Yds) - (#100079)
- 21 Gauge 3/8" (10mm) Staples 10,000/Box (Stainless Steel) - (#8010SS)
- Staple Lifter - (#120037)
- Gingher® Scissors Right Hand Lightweight 8” - (#101017)
- Sailrite® Fabricator® Sewing Machine, Table & Servo Motor - (#400500)
- Sailrite® Upholstery Staple Gun - Short Nose - (#121410)
- Marker, Knife