How to Install Carpet Style Headliner
Just like a fresh coat of paint can freshen up a room, new headliner can completely change the look of your boat’s cabin. You won’t believe the transformation new headliner made in our Powerboat Makeover. This 1982 Regal 245 XL Ambassabor had the original headliner in the cabin, which looked like faux fur and was dingy and musty. The new, brighter headliner makes the cabin look bigger and more welcoming. This video will show you how you can bring this look to your own boat.
The ceiling in the cabin on our Powerboat Makeover had a lot of curves and grooves, so we chose HullBlanket for our headliner. HullBlanket is a carpet style head/hull liner that is really forgiving to work with. Carpet style headliners take curves better than vinyl headliners and can be pulled and stretched to make installation easy. HullBlanket is also stain resistant, mold and mildew resistant, antistatic and moistureproof. It's easy to cut and cuts without fraying. You can use scissors or a sharp razor to cut your HullBlanket material to size.
In the video, Brian, a manager at Sailrite® and the boat's owner of our Powerboat Makeover series, will walk you through how to install the carpet style headliner using 3M™ General Trim Adhesive. He also carefully demonstrates two different methods for joining the headliner panels together and how to install trim pieces.
See all of our headliner material options in our "Headliner Fabric" category under the "Fabric" menu on our website. Be sure to check out the other blogs and how-to videos of our Powerboat Makeover series to see more of the boat's transformation. You won't want to miss seeing the completed boat makeover!
- Preparing Surface – 1:06 min.
- Installing Carpet Style Headliner – 1:56 min.
- Trimming Excess – 14:18 min.
- Joining Seams – 17:46 min.
- Installing on Curves & Contours – 26:49 min.
- Seaming in a Groove – 30:46 min.
- Cleaning Overspray – 34:08 min.
- Installing Trim – 35:37 min.
- Bedding Screws – 39:09 min.
- Materials List – 41:47 min.
- HullBlanket Headliner Hull Liner Carpet Type (we used Sand #102635)
- 3M™ General Trim Adhesive (#73211)
- Trimmable Butyl Tape 3/4" (#103689)
- 3M™ Adhesive Cleaner (#108984)
- 21 Gauge 1/2" (12mm) Staples 10,000/Box (Stainless) (#8012SS)
- Morbern® Seabrook Lite Glacier 54" Foam Backed Headliner (#105467)
- Sailrite® Long Nose Upholstery Staple Gun (#121411)
- Protective breathing mask, Tape, Tape measure, Razor blades, Rags, Tools to install screws