How to Make a Boat Fender Cover - Center Rope Style
Fenders are an important piece of equipment for your boat as they keep your boat’s hull from hitting the dock, or even other boats. Protect your fender from the elements and your boat’s hull from chafing with a soft cover for your fender. Fender covers are simple to DIY and a great project for beginning sewers.
There are many different styles of fenders and today we’re going to show you how to make a cover for a center rope style fender. If your fenders have a two-eyelet shape, you can see how to make a cover for those in our "Making a Boat Fender Cover" video tutorial (#200337XHT).
To cover our fender, we selected Boat Blanket fabric in a soft gray color. This fabric is a plush, durable polyester spectropile fabric. It is UV and chemical resistant, colorfast and can easily withstand a marine environment while staying soft enough to not harm the side of your boat. Boat Blanket is safe to use against gel coat and other hard coated surfaces and will protect against marring or color transfer on your hull.
In this video you will learn how to measure your fender and sew your own boat blanket fender cover.
- Patterning -- 0:43 min.
- Installing Grommet in Top -- 3:36 min.
- Sewing Top & Body -- 4:48 min.
- Creating Sleeve with Tensioning Line -- 6:37 min.
- Materials List -- 9:31 min.
- Boat Blanket Fabric (we used Gray #100111)
- #4 Spur Grommet #26318
- V-92 Polyester Thread (we used black #100071)
- 1/8” Leechline Dacron #21209
- Tape Measure #102986
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife #103800
- #4 Hole Cutter (1/2") #18213
- Die Set Spur #4 (1/2") #18205
- Premium Cutting Block #103642
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LS-1 PLUS Walking Foot Sewing Machine #300502
This fender cover project was inspired by a customer, Sandra K., who sent us photos of her fender covers. We used a similar process to Sandra’s to create our cover. We love to see customer projects, thanks Sandra!
What did you think of this project? Have you ever made fender covers before? Share your experiences, opinions and ideas with us in the comments!