How to Make a Pleated Seat Cover for a Motorcycle
If your motorcycle's vinyl seat cushion is ripped or worn, there's definitely something you can do about it. Our detailed how-to video will show you how to sew a new cover for your motorcycle and how to staple it in place. In our video, we're creating a gorgeous pleated seat cover. Pleating, or channeling, adds a high-end expensive and stylish design to an otherwise plain vinyl seat cushion. Join us in this video demonstration.
Our original motorcycle seat did not have pleating, but that's OK. You can sew pleats into the new cushion cover using something called scrim foam or fabric backed sew foam. This thin foam has a fabric backing so you can sew through it to create the pleats or channeling effect. When sewing with sew foam, something you have to watch out for is fabric shrinkage that occurs when sewing the foam to your vinyl upholstery fabric. The video will cover how to anticipate and be prepared for this.
Vinyl upholstery fabric is a great choice for motorcycle seating. It is highly water resistant, very abrasion and UV resistant, and easy to clean. It also looks sleek and stylish and complements a motorcycle design very well. We carry a wide variety of vinyl fabrics from all the top brands including Morbern®, Naugahyde®, EverSoft™ and Sunbrella® Horizon.
In this video you'll learn how to pattern your seat cover using the existing one, how to sew pleats, and how to create your own boxing. You'll also learn how to sew top stitching along the top of the cover for a finished, professional-looking seat. Once the cover is finished, we'll show you how to staple it in place to wood backer board of your motorcycle seat.
To handle the thickness of the sew foam and upholstery vinyl, we're sewing with the Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LS Walking Foot Sewing Machine. This walking foot sewing machine handles incredibly thick fabric assemblies with ease.
How to Make a Pleated Seat Cover Chapters:
- Patterning Scrim Foam & Fabric — 0:27 min.
- Sewing Pleats — 3:04 min.
- Installing Boxing — 5:12 min.
- Topstitching — 10:17 min.
- Stapling Cover to Seat — 11:28 min.
- Materials List — 13:20 min.
- Fabric Backed Sew Foam (#124306)
- Marine Vinyl Fabric from Sailrite
- V-92 Polyester Thread from Sailrite
- 3M™ Super 77 Spray Adhesive (#636100)
- Tape Measure 120 Inch (#102986)
- Sailrite® Short Nose Upholstery Staple Gun (#121410)
- 21 Gauge 1/2" Stainless Steel Staples (#58012SS)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LS Walking Foot Sewing Machine (#300500)
- Paper, Marker, Scissors, Yardstick