How to Make a Stadium Cushion With Handle
When you think of autumn, do you think about cooler weather, the leaves changing, and the return of football season? Our latest DIY project will be your perfect companion to football games this fall (and beyond!). Stadium seats are so often hard and cold, and it can be uncomfortable to sit on bleachers for an entire game. So why not bring along a high quality, custom stadium seat to keep you comfy? We’re going to show you how to make your own stadium cushion.
Not only is a stadium seat cushion great for your comfort, but it’s also a great way to show your team spirit. You can customize your cushion in your favorite team colors or with spirited fabric. This project is also great for beginners because of its small scale. Plus, once you make a stadium cushion, you’ll know all the skills to make a box cushion of any size.
For our stadium cushion we used a durable, water-resistant Naugahyde vinyl fabric. Naugahyde comes in bright, bold colors and cleans easily so you don’t need to worry about getting it dirty at a game. Since we’re in Indiana, we chose a Dark Cherry vinyl with cream piping (Go Hoosiers!). We used a premade piping, but you can also make your own. We also added a handle on one end of the cushion for easy carrying.
In the video below, we’ll show you how to pattern the fabric, attach piping, make a zipper plaque and sew it all together to make your stadium cushion.
- Patterning Fabric & Foam - 0:20 min.
- Sewing Zipper Plaque - 3:19 min.
- Sewing Handle (Optional) - 5:51 min.
- Sewing Zipper Plaque to Boxing - 7:16 min.
- Installing Piping - 8:58 min.
- Sewing Boxing to Plates - 11:50 min.
- Installing Handle Snap - 19:14 min.
- Inserting Foam - 21:01 min.
- Materials List - 21:50 min.
- Outdoor Fabric (we used Naugahyde Universal Dark Cherry #100605)
- Foam (we used a 2”x20”x21” Anti-Microbial Polyurethane Foam #104457)
- Thread (we used a V-69 Polyester)
- #5 Vislon Continuous Zipper #28218
- #5 Vislon Non-Locking Zipper Slider #103178
- Seamstick 1/4” Basting Tape for Canvas #104167
- Piping (we used Naughyde Universal Vinyl Welting/Piping in Cream #120554)
- Snap Fastener Cloth-to-Cloth Set #333001 (Optional)
- Sewing Machine with cording foot
- Tape Measure #102986
- Snap Fastener Deluxe Installation Tool #100949
- Foam cutter or electric kitchen knife
- Pen and Marker
Now you can be festive and comfortable at any sporting event this fall! Which sports will your stadium cushion be attending? Tell us all about it in the comments!