How to Reupholster a Chair With a Staple Gun
Do you have an outdated or worn-out chair that desperately needs a complete makeover? Well, Sailrite® is here to help! Follow along with our detailed tutorial as we show you how to reupholster a chair using an upholstery staple gun. This project requires minimal sewing and will instantly revamp your old chairs. The chair that we will be working on in the video below has multiple panels and is simply stapled to a backboard. Learn just how easy it is to transform your old chairs with this helpful how-to.
When you’re stapling a chair like the one in our tutorial, you certainly want to make sure that your staples aren’t tearing or excessively damaging your assembly but are still adequately securing the fabric and foam to the chair. That’s why we chose our Sailrite® Short Nose Upholstery Staple Gun to tackle this project! Instead of the standard 3/8-inch staples, our staple guns shoot 1/2-inch crown staples, which makes them better suited for delicate faux leather and vinyl fabrics. The driving mechanism of our upholstery staple guns extends just far enough to set the staple without the crown penetrating the material. It is just enough force to secure your assembly without splintering wood or ripping or tearing your fabric. If you’d like to learn more about what sets our upholstery staple guns apart from the rest of the crowd, be sure to check out the blog “Choosing an Upholstery Staple Gun” (300373XHT) for details.
In terms of fabric, we’ve chosen Sunbrella® Crete Meadow from the Sailrite® Collection of Sunbrella® Upholstery Fabrics. This solution-dyed acrylic fabric is resistant to water, mold, mildew, stains and fading for the ultimate upholstery fabric. With Sunbrella Upholstery Fabrics, most stains can be wiped away or quickly cleaned with mild soap and water. These resilient qualities are the reason why Sunbrella is one of our most common choices when it comes to DIY upholstery projects.
How did your project turn out? Share before and after photos with us in the comments below or on social media using #Sailrite in the caption.
- Decor & Upholstery Fabric - we used Sunbrella® Crete Meadow - Item #44353-0007
- Medium 1/4" Welting Cord - Item #107036
- 21 Gauge 3/8" Staples 10,000/Box (Galvanized) - Item #8010GZ
- 21 Gauge 1/4" Staples 10,000/Box (Galvanized) - Item #8006GZ
- Fabric Backed 1/2" Sew Foam 58" - Item #121507
- High Density Polyurethane Foam (Extra Firm) 1" x 24" x 80" - Item #281X2480
- Surface Mount Disc Hook 1‑3/4" (45mm) - Item #121374
- Surface Mount Disc Loop 1‑3/4" (45mm) - Item #121375
- Tape Measure 120 Inch - Item #102986
- Rotary Cutter 28mm - Item #139900
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" - Item #102400
- Gingher® Scissors Right Hand Lightweight 8" - Item #101017
- Multiuse Pins 1 1/2" - Item #102985
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ-1 PREMIUM (110V) Sewing Machine - Item #300603
- Cording Foot Set for Ultrafeed® LSZ‑1 (For Larger Welting) - Item #104854
- Staple Lifter - Item #120037
- Sailrite® Short Nose Upholstery Staple Gun - Item #121410
- Marker, Screwdriver, Wire Cutters or Needle Nose Pliers