How to Make an Outdoor Patio Pillow
The problem with buying outdoor patio pillows from a big box store is that they’re often made using subpar fabric and won’t hold up to the rigors of the outdoors. That’s what happened to one of our Project Guys, Tanner. His store-bought pillows faded in the sun after just two months, so we’re going to be replacing them with high-quality, weather-resistant Sunbrella® fabric. Let’s get started!
Some lesser fabrics that claim to be “outdoor fabrics” are not truly equipped to resist UV rays and inclement conditions. But you won’t have that problem when you choose to make your patio pillows and cushions using Sunbrella Upholstery fabric! This 100% solution-dyed acrylic is rated to have exceptional resistance to fading, stains, mold, mildew, abrasion and pilling. These fabrics boast a five-year limited warranty in residential applications, so you can feel confident exposing them to the elements year-round. Fantastic for both indoors and out, Sunbrella fabrics can handle any living space. These extremely durable fabrics are available in a number of colors, styles and patterns so you can completely customize every part of your patio with only the highest quality material.
It’s equally as important to choose a long-lasting piping for your patio pillows as it will be just as exposed to the sun and moisture as the entire pillow. For our pillow project, we’ve decided to utilize Sunbrella® Decorative Piping Trim. This gorgeous product is great for indoor and outdoor cushions, pillows and patio furniture. The twisted cord edge is made with polypropylene cord (filler yarns) wrapped with Sunbrella solution-dyed acrylic yarns. This Sunbrella trim is a perfect match to the Sunbrella fabric we’re using for our pillows and will add just the right finishing touch.
Do you have any patio pillows that have seen better days? This easy-to-follow tutorial is sure to help you revamp them into great-looking, resilient accents for your outdoor living space. Don’t forget to share photos of your finished project in the comments below or on social media and use #Sailrite in the caption.
- Patterning Fabric - 0:38 min
- Adding Decorative Piping - 3:46 min
- Adding Second Plate - 8:43 min
- Creating & Inserting Pillow Form - 11:44 min
- Sewing Pillow Shut - 12:44 min
- Materials List - 16:26 min
- Sunbrella® Sailrite Valor Indigo Upholstery Fabric - Item #40502-0019
- Sunbrella Decorative Piping Trim from Sailrite - we used 1/4” Navy - Item #364626
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas - Item #129
- V-69 Polyester Thread from Sailrite®
- Foam Lock Spray Adhesive 12oz - Item #120464
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LS Walking Foot Sewing Machine Item #300500
- Ultrafeed® Industrial Sewing Table - Item #120934
- Thread Clipper "Kuroha" - Item #121908
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" - Item #102400
- Chalk Pencil Cartridge Set - Item #121669
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package (110V) - Item #103800
- Tempered Cutting Glass for Hotknife - Item #121915
- Gingher® Scissors Right Hand Lightweight 8" - Item #101017
- Wonder Clips ‑ Assorted Colors (Set of 10) - Item #121876
- Left Roping Zipper Foot for Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LS Sewing Machine - Item #905