How to Sew Chaise Lounge Seat Cushions
A chaise lounge is only as comfortable as the cushions on it, and sometimes those cushions are in need of a makeover. As part of our Chaise Lounge Revamp, we will show you all the steps required to sew a new cushion for a chaise lounge chair using tools and supplies from Sailrite®. To do this, we’ll be using the old cushion as a template to make the new cushion cover. The process we will show in our comprehensive video tutorial will also work for any type of box cushion construction, not just a chaise lounge chair seat cushion.
The chaise lounge seat cushion we’ll be recreating in our instructional video has a special feature that we’ll need to work around. In order to keep the cushion from sliding off, it has a strap with a D-ring on it. This D-ring attaches to a hook on the chaise lounge to make sure it does not shift when people get on and off the chaise lounge. We’re going to be taking this mechanism off of the old chaise lounge and adding it to our new cushions, but this is an optional step. Are you looking to revamp the rest of your chaise lounge? We also have instructional videos for upholstering the remainder of the chaise lounge (300434XHT) as well as how to sew a backrest cushion (300436XHT).
Not only will this tutorial also work for other box cushion sewing projects, but you can acquire everything you need from fabric to sewing machines at Sailrite. Just a few clicks on our website can bring quality DIY products directly to your door. All you need is a little creativity!
How did your cushion turn out? Did you reupholster your entire chaise lounge? Show us photos in the comments below or post them on social media and use #Sailrite in the caption.
- Disassembly & Measuring of Old Cushion – 0:56 min
- Cutting New Decorative Fabric – 3:39 min
- Creating & Sewing Bias Piping – 8:16 min
- Sewing Piping on Plates – 11:44 min
- Making Zipper Plaque & Boxing – 14:36 min
- Sewing Boxing to Plates – 18:18 min
- Inserting Stuffing – 30:49 min
- Materials List – 32:58 min
- Decor & Upholstery Fabric from Sailrite – we used Crypton® Home Daria Eggshell - #121890
- V-69 Nylon Thread from Sailrite
- Medium 5/32" Welting Cord - #107035
- YKK® Continuous Zipper Chain #5 White (Coil) - #104387
- YKK® Zipper Slider #5 White Metal Single Lock Pull (Coil) - #104356
- High Density Polyurethane Foam (Medium) 5" x 48" x 80" - #285M4880
- Gingher® Scissors Right Hand Lightweight 8" - #101017
- Tape Measure 120 Inch - #102986
- Multiuse Pins 1 1/2" - #102985
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" - #102400
- Sailrite® Fabricator® Sewing Machine, Table & Workhorse™ Servo Motor - #400500
- Cording Foot Set 1/4" for Fabricator, 111 & Big-N-Tall - #400414