How to Make a Decorative Fabric Fridge Panel
Many refrigerators in campers and boats have decorative panels that can be removed from the front of the fridge and freezer. These panels can be upholstered with decorative fabric to add charm and beauty to your RV or boat. This is a fast and fun way to spruce up the look of your RV or boat and introduce some color and pattern to the kitchen and dining area. Let’s get started.
First, we will remove the fridge and freezer panels. We will glue 1/4-inch Sew Foam to the panels to add an attractive look of softness and cushion to the front of the refrigerator. Once the foam is glued in place, then we’ll glue on a decorative fabric. We’re using 3M™ General Trim Spray Adhesive to glue our foam and fabric in place. We have many high-quality spray adhesives available at Sailrite that are perfect for projects like this.
We’re using a Sunbrella® upholstery fabric for our RV fridge panels. This fabric is featured in other projects inside the camper of our RV Renovation Series, so it’s a great way to add a cohesive look inside our camper and match with other interior projects. For your RV or boat fridge panels, chose a fabric that is easy to clean and stain-resistant. Sunbrella upholstery is a great choice, but you could also go with a vinyl fabric that wipes off easily. The choice is yours. We have hundreds of upholstery fabrics to choose from for this DIY project.
Join us for more DIY projects as we continue to transform our 1987 Airstream Argosy RV. We’re redoing an RV from top to bottom, inside and out. And share your photos of your decorative fridge DIYs with us on social media. Tag us using #Sailrite so we can see your talent and creativity!
If you want to view more projects in our RV Renovation Series, click here!
- Intro — 0:00 min.
- Gluing Sew Foam to Panel — 0:31 min.
- Gluing Fabric to Sew Foam — 3:49 min.
- Installing Panel — 8:12 min.
- Materials & Tools List — 10:21 min.
- Fabric Backed 1/4" Sew Foam 58" (5 yds.) (#121506-5)
- 3M™ General Trim Spray Adhesive (#73211)
- Sunbrella® Sailrite® Esti Sandstone 54" Upholstery Fabric (#44349-0002)
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" (#102400)
- Comfort Grip Rotary Cutter 60mm (#9655)
- Self Healing Rotary Cutting Mat 24" x 36" (#120257)
- Gingher® 8" Scissors Right Handed (#19104)