How to Cover a Tabletop in Vinyl Fabric
Did you know you can sew a vinyl table cover instead of painting or applying new formica to a tabletop? Vinyl upholstery fabric is waterproof, durable and easy to clean — and it looks fantastic as a side table or nightstand tabletop. Our video shows you how to sew a tight-fitting, stylish vinyl cover for your tabletop. Join us for the latest project tutorial in our 1987 Airstream Argosy Renovation Series.
This is an easy sewing project that will add a nice, decorative element to your tabletop. We'll show you how to pattern the top plate, how to create and sew the boxing, and how to staple the vinyl cover to the tabletop. As a finishing touch, we'll add a decorative topstitch in a complementary color thread, which gives our project a beautiful, polished look.
We're using Sunbrella® Horizon® for our vinyl table covers. Horizon is an indoor/outdoor engineered synthetic leather that delivers the performance and style that Sunbrella is known for. The vinyl's four-way stretch properties enable us to get a very tight-fitting tabletop cover with no wrinkles or sagging. Vinyl is a great choice for a tabletop; spills and stains wipe up quickly and easily from this waterproof fabric. With two embossing patterns and dozens of colors to choose from, you're sure to find a Horizon fabric that fits your décor.
Here's a closeup of the vinyl table cover. Look at that beautiful topstitching!
Watch the video below to learn how to sew a vinyl tabletop for your nightstand, side table or any table you want to cover in a protective and stylish vinyl fabric cover.
If you liked this project, be sure to check out the other DIYs in our RV Renovation Series. We're revamping a trailer from inside out and top to bottom! You won't want to miss any of the project tutorials in this fun DIY series.
- Intro — 0:00 min.
- Patterning Top Plate — 0:35 min.
- Creating Boxing — 2:49 min.
- Sewing Boxing to Top Plate — 5:34 min.
- Adding Decorative Top Stitch - 14:59 min.
- Stapling Vinyl to Tabletop — 20:41 min.
- Materials & Tools List — 28:46 min.
- Sunbrella® Horizon® Capriccio White 54" Vinyl Fabric #10200-0001
- V‑92 White UV Bonded Polyester Thread 4 oz. (1,350 yds.) #100079
- V‑92 Navy UV Bonded Polyester Thread 4 oz. (1,350 yds.) #100073
- 21 Gauge 3/8" (10mm) Staples 10,000/Box (Galvanized) #8010GZ
- Tack & Staple Remover #104319
- Flexible Curve 18" #122445
- Scribe‑All® Black Marking Pencil for Vinyl #121977
- Gingher® 8" Scissors Right Handed #19104
- Tape Measure 120" #102986
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" #102400
- Comfort Grip Rotary Cutter 60mm #9655
- Self Healing Rotary Cutting Mat 24" x 36" #120257
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ Sewing Machine With WorkerB® Power Pack
- Sailrite® Long Nose Upholstery Staple Gun #121411