How to Replace a Boat Stanchion & Pole
Sailboat stanchions are vertical poles positioned around the perimeter of a sailboat deck. They are used for installing lifelines around the boat to keep people safe when the boat is on the water. If you need to replace the lifeline stanchions on your boat, keep reading to find out more about this project. And then be sure to watch our step-by-step installation tutorial at the end of the blog to learn how to tackle this important sailboat safety project for your vessel.
In this comprehensive installation video you will learn:
- How to create a stanchion backing plate from a stainless steel sheet.
- How to install a new stanchion on your boat.
- How to prepare a new stanchion pole.
- And how to install your new pole and Suncor® Quick Attach™ Wedge Kit .
Sailrite stocks sailboat hardware for all of your DIY needs. We have several sizes of stainless steel base plates to choose from, so you’ll be able to find the right size boat stanchion base to fit your boat deck. Along with the base plates needed for this project, we also carry stainless steel tubing, butyl tape, the necessary hardware pieces, and the handful of tools and notions needed to complete this project. The supplies we do not stock are easy to find at your local hardware store.
Watch the video below to get started on this important boat safety project.
If you’re looking for DIY ideas for your boat, you’ve come to the right place! Our “Learn” section is bursting with free video tutorials and how-to content. We have step-by-step instructions for all of your vessel’s needs. From upholstery work and headliner installation to sail repair, full boat enclosures and more, you will find hundreds of DIY project blogs and videos.
If you need help with your boat stanchion installation, we’re just an email or phone call away. Or write in using the chat function on our website.
- Intro — 0:00 min.
- Creating Stanchion Backing Plate — 0:15 min.
- Installing Stanchion — 4:57 min.
- Preparing New Stanchion Pole — 10:55 min.
- Installing New Pole & Quick Attach Wedge — 16:13 min.
- Materials & Tools List — 21:50 min.
- Rectangle Base Life Line Stanchion Stainless Steel #103618
- Corrosion-Resistant 316 Stainless Steel Sheet 6" x 6" 0.12" Thick (not from Sailrite)
- 3M™ Specialty Adhesive Remover 32 oz. (Quart) #108984
- Trimmable Butyl Tape 1" (30 Feet) #103689
- Tubing Stainless Steel 1" Thick Wall #103603-2
- Stanchion Sleeve with Eye for 1" OD Tube Stainless Steel #883341
- Stanchion Eye for 1" x .065 Wall Tube Stainless Steel #883321
- Suncor® Quick Attach™ Wedge Kit 3/16" #121312
- Stainless Steel Phillips Oval Head Screws, 1/4"-20 Thread Size, 1-1/2" Long (from hardware store)
- Stainless Steel Nylon-Insert Locknut 1/4"-20 Thread Size (from hardware store)
- Scribe-All® Black Marking Pencil for Vinyl #121977
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" #102400
- Countersink Bit, Hacksaw or Bandsaw, Center Punch, Bench Grinder, 1/4" Drill Bit, Drill Press, Cutting Oil, Screwdriver, 7/16" Socket, 1/8" Allen Wrench, Vice Grips, Hammer, Wrenches