Should I Use Solution-Dyed Acrylic Fabric?
Are you looking for a fabric that can withstand the elements and look great while doing it? Look no further than solution-dyed acrylic fabric. In this blog, we'll explore what solution-dyed acrylic fabric is and why it's a fantastic choice for many DIY projects. Then we’ll share our brand recommendations. Let's dive into the world of this incredible material!
Introduction to Solution-Dyed Acrylic Fabric
What exactly is solution-dyed acrylic fabric and how is it made? Acrylic is made from acrylonitrile, a colorless, flammable liquid derived from polypropylene plastic. It’s a synthetic fabric that was originally developed as an alternative to wool. For an in-depth explanation of how acrylic fabric is manufactured, read our blog "A Guide to Acrylic Fabric."
Acrylic material is popular for its durability, ease of care and versatility. It also responds well to dyeing, creating a canvas for vibrant colors. One dyeing method used for fabric is solution dyeing.
Solution dyeing is when a fiber is dyed during the manufacturing process, rather than after it has been woven or knitted into fabric. In traditional dyeing methods, color is applied to the finished fabric's surface. But in solution dyeing, color is added to the liquid acrylic polymer before it is spun into yarn. This means that the color is an inherent part of the fabric and runs all the way through the fibers.
As a result, solution-dyed acrylic fabric is extremely colorfast. It’s highly resistant to fading and degradation from exposure to sunlight, harsh weather conditions and environmental factors. But that’s only one perk that makes acrylic such a popular and versatile fabric.
Key Features & Benefits
Next, we’ll discuss the other benefits that make solution-dyed acrylic fabric so great. Some of the key advantages include:
- Mold & Mildew Resistance: Acrylic fabrics naturally resist mold and mildew growth. This is especially important for applications that may be exposed to moisture.
- Water Resistance: These fabrics don’t absorb water, so they can resist saturation. Liquids bead up on the surface and can be shaken or wiped right off treated acrylic fabrics. Solution-dyed acrylic is quick and easy to dry after exposure to rain or moisture.
- Durability: This tough fabric withstands abrasion, harsh weather and other environmental factors. It won’t easily tear or fray, ensuring your projects last a long time.
- Easy Cleaning & Maintenance: Cleaning and maintaining solution-dyed acrylic fabric is a breeze. This type of fabric resists staining. Spills can often be cleaned with mild soap and water, reducing the effort required for upkeep. You can even use a bleach solution to clean acrylic fabrics as needed.
- Softness: These fabrics can be soft to the touch (unless treated for marine applications). This makes them suitable when comfort is a priority.
These benefits (and more) give solution-dyed acrylic fabric incredible versatility. It's a popular choice in both residential and commercial settings. Let’s explore the solution-dyed acrylic fabrics that Sailrite® recommends. We'll also give you inspiration for how you can use them in your own spaces.
Recommended Fabric Brands
Sailrite stocks two excellent brands of solution-dyed acrylic fabric: Sattler® and Outdura®. These brands are made by Sattler Group, a leader in the performance textile industry. Founded in 1875, Sattler Group is a family-owned textile manufacturer. This Austria-based company has been at the forefront of the textile industry for decades. It’s a leader in fabric design, innovation and sustainable manufacturing practices.
Sattler and Outdura are woven in the United States from first-quality fibers sourced from Europe. These fabrics boast an amazing range of colors and patterns fit for any style. Let’s go over each brand’s features and uses to help you determine which one is right for your next project.
Outdura: Performance Upholstery Fabric
Outdura is an indoor/outdoor performance upholstery fabric. It’s low maintenance and will last for years, both inside and out. It's incredibly UV, water and mildew resistant. But performance isn’t all this powerhouse fabric is about.
Using Outdura means you never have to compromise on style. With fresh fabrics coming to market all the time, this unbeatable brand strives to deliver the latest trends in the upholstery world. Mix and match styles and colors to create a cohesive look from your living room to your patio and beyond.
- Indoor Uses: Décor, upholstery, cushions, pillows and headboards.
- Marine Uses: Interior and exterior curtains, cushions, pillows and upholstery.
- Outdoor Uses: Cushions, pillows, upholstery and décor.
- RV and Auto Uses: Upholstery, pillows, cushions and curtains.
A winning combination of quality, style and performance, Outdura is the smart choice for all your upholstery DIYs. Sailrite’s selection of Outdura is unmatched anywhere. Browse our huge inventory of in-stock patterns to find the Outdura that’s calling your name today!
To learn more about Outdura, read our blog "Outdura® Fabric – Premium Performance Upholstery."
Sattler: Performance Marine Grade Fabric
When it comes to marine and outdoor fabrics, longevity is everything. That’s why Sattler® Marine Grade fabric is a top choice for these projects. This fabric is well-known for its strength, durability and longevity.
Outdoor and marine environments can be very demanding. Constant sunlight, temperature changes, moisture and salt can all damage lesser fabrics. But not Sattler. This sturdy canvas fabric stands strong against harsh environments for the long haul. A huge range of colors and an affordable price tag make this easy-care material a go-to choice for marine and outdoor DIYs.
- Marine Uses: Awnings, biminis, T-tops, dodgers, enclosures, exterior cushions, boat and sail covers, sail bags, weather cloths, and windshield covers.
- Outdoor Living Uses: Awnings, wire-hung canopies and pergolas, umbrellas, enclosures, storage covers, and exterior cushions.
- RV & Auto Uses: Awnings, storage covers and windshield covers.
Sattler should be your first choice when shopping for marine or outdoor canvas. Its affordable price point helps you make all the projects you need without breaking the bank. Plus, its longevity will save you more money on repairs and replacements over time. Browse our in-stock selection of Sattler fabric to find the color that catches your eye.
To learn more about Sattler, read our blog "Sattler®: Your Premier Cover & Shade Fabric."
We hope this blog answered all your questions about what solution-dyed acrylic fabric is and why you would use it for your projects. This fabric will keep your DIYs looking and performing their best for years to come.
What projects have you made with solution-dyed acrylic fabric? Share what you’ve used this standout fabric for in the comments below. And if you have any tips for working with this versatile material, please share them too. Happy sewing!