How to Make a Dog Bed
Has your dog’s bed seen better days? Pet beds see a lot of wear and tear both from our pets and from frequent washing. If you’re in the market for a new pet bed, why not make one yourself? We have a great tutorial for a simple-sew dog bed that your pooch will love.
Making your own dog bed is great because it allows you to customize the bed for your home and your pet. You can choose your color combination or even use a patterned fabric to fit your home’s décor or your pet’s personality. We used Sunbrella Upholstery Fabric for our pet bed because it is stain resistant and easy to clean.
This style of pet bed features four sides and a removable pillow as the center padding. A bed of this style would be great for a cat or other pets too. In the video, we make a bed for a small dog, but you use the same methods and adjust the size for dogs of all sizes. Here are some recommended dimensions for dog bed sizes:
- Extra Small: 17" x 17"
- Small: 28" x 18"
- Medium: 37" x 24"
- Large: 43" x 30"
In this video, you will learn how to pattern the fabric, sew the sides and base, and make the center pillow.
- Patterning Fabric - 0:20 min.
- Sewing Sides - 2:08 min.
- Attaching Bottom - 8:37 min.
- Making the Center Pillow - 10:44 min.
- Materials List - 12:55 min.
- Fabric (we used Sunbrella® Upholstery Canvas Fabric in Hot Pink #5462-0000 and Macaw #5429-0000)
- V-69 Thread
- Batting #100158 or Polyester Fiberfil #104467
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife #103800
- Deluxe Magnetic Sewing Guide #103597
- Sewing machine
What pet related projects have you made? Has anyone made a pet bed before? Share your ideas with us in the comments!