How to Make a Patio Furniture Cover for a Chaise Lounge Chair
Lounge chairs are a great way to relax outdoors. They’re perfect for sunning by the pool or taking a nap in the fresh air. Keep your patio chaise lounge chair looking great for years to come by covering it with a protective cover when not in use. We’ll show you how you can make your own custom patio furniture cover to get the best protection and fit for your chaise lounge chair.
We think making custom covers for your patio furniture is a great idea because it gives you total control over the material you use and the fit of the cover. For our cover we chose to use a high-quality outdoor polyester fabric called Sur Last. Sur Last is a great all-weather fabric that is solution-dyed, meaning that the color, UV inhibitors and stabilizers are a part of the fiber for strong fibers with color that won’t fade away. It’s also lightweight and breathable so it’s easy to install on your chairs and will help prevent the growth of mold and mildew. Another great option for covers like this is Top Notch 9, which is also a weatherproof polyester fabric.
This chaise lounge chair cover is a simple cover design and is a great place to start if you’re going to be making a set of patio furniture covers. This cover requires only loose patterning and consists of three fabric panels with elastic around the bottom hem to keep your cover securely in place.
In this video you’ll learn how to pattern your cover for your chair, sew the panels together, add darts for a better fit, and create the elastic tension at the bottom.
- Determining Fabric Required – 0:28 min.
- Creating a Pattern from Lounge Chair – 1:53 min.
- Cutting Fabric to Size – 4:46 min.
- Sewing Panels Together – 7:12 min.
- Creating Darts – 13:47 min.
- Making Rope Tension Sleeve – 17:03 min.
- Inserting Rope in Sleeve & Sewing – 22:53 min.
- Fitting Cover – 25:31 min.
- Materials List – 26:40 min.
- Outdoor Cover Fabric (we used Sur Last Light Grey fabric #386200)
- Outdoor Thread (we used V-92 Polyester #20204)
- Shock Bungee Cord 3/16" (White With Black Marker) #29303
- Gingher Scissors #19104 (right-handed)
- Tape Measure #102986
- Multi Use Pins 1-1/2" #102985
- Sailrite Ultrafeed® LS-1 PLUS Walking Foot Sewing Machine #300502
- Sewing Gauge Ruler 6" #102995
- Spring Clamp #50211
Does your lounge chair need new cushions? See how we made the cushions for this chair in our video "How to Make Lounge Chair Cushions" (200699XHT).
Do you cover your patio furniture when it's not in use or during the off-season? To you make them yourself? Share your patio furniture cover experiences with us in the comments!