How to Make Lounge Chair Cushions
A patio lounge chair is the perfect place to relax, read a book, take a nap or soak up the sun. We had this old lounge chair that had been in storage for many years and decided to spruce it up. It’s a companion piece to the Curved Patio Set we made new cushions for in another post (#200702XHT). For our lounge chair we made one large cushion connected by hinge pieces. We’re going to show you step-by-step how to make a lounge cushion just like this in our video.
Since our lounge cushion is going to be outside and sits on the same patio as our Curved Patio Set (which is adjacent to the Outdoor Dining Area we made over), we chose a Sunbrella® Upholstery Fabric, for it’s comfort and weather resistance. We chose to use this striped Sunbrella fabric to keep this chair in the color scheme of the rest of the patio.
Our lounge chair required three cushions: the seat, feet and back cushion. To successfully attach all of these cushions together with hinges you need to carefully pattern all your fabric pieces and then assemble them in the correct order. In the video we will carefully go over the patterning and assembly of this cushion. We also made an attached headrest pillow for our lounge chair, but this step can easily be omitted if you’d rather.
- Measuring & Patterning Cushions – 1:03 min.
- Patterning Headrest Pillow (optional) – 15:35 min.
- Making Piping – 22:52 min.
- Sewing Zipper Plaques – 27:46 min.
- Making Ties – 29:45 min.
- Sewing Piping to Plates – 30:56 min.
- Sewing Seat Cushion – 33:27 min.
- Sewing Foot Cushion – 48:00 min.
- Sewing Back Top Plate to Assembly – 56:15 min.
- Making Headrest Pillow (optional) – 57:56 min.
- Sewing Back Bottom Plate to Assembly – 1:07:00 min.
- Cutting & Wrapping Foam – 1:12:36 min.
- Inserting Foam – 1:20:07 min.
- Materials List – 1:23:29 min.
- Sunbrella® Upholstery Fabric (we used Sunbrella®)
- Foam Piping/Welting Cord 5/32" #1055
- YKK® Zipper #5 Vislon® Continuous White #28218
- YKK® Slider #5 Vislon® White Plastic Single Non-Locking Pull #103178
- Outdoor Living Foam (we used Reflex Biocide Foam 3" Thick x 48" Wide x 80" Long #104992)
- Spun Bonded Pillow Protector Fabric #104466
- Polyester Fiberfill #104467
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" #102400
- Gingher® 8" Scissors (Right Handed #19104)
- Multiuse Pins 1 1/2" #102985
- Comfort Grip Rotary Cutter 60mm #9655
- Cutting Mat 18" x 24" #102990
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LS-1 PLUS Walking Foot Sewing Machine #300502
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package (110 Volt) #103800
- Tape measure
- Masking tape
- Electric kitchen knife
- Items used to clean & restore metal lounge chair frame: metal brush, steel wool, Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer and Rust-Oleum Hammered Spray Paint