How to Make a Throw Pillow With Piping
Throw pillows provide the perfect finishing touch to sofas and chairs both inside and outside your home. They're also a great beginner sewing project or a quick sew for those who want an easy DIY. When we made new cushions for our Curved Patio Set (#200702XHT) and its coordinating Lounge Chair (#200699XHT) we knew they’d need a few throw pillows to complete the look. In this step-by-step video, you’ll learn how to sew your own outdoor throw pillows with piping trim.
Since our throw pillows were for a patio, we wanted to make sure to use a highly water-resistant fabric to help keep the pillow forms dry. We chose Sunbrella® Upholstery fabric in coordinating colors with the fabrics used on our cushions. For outdoor patio pillows, look for a solution-dyed performance fabric. These fabrics are UV resistant, water resistant and colorfast. Some of our favorites are Sunbrella Upholstery, Bella-Dura®, Richloom Fortress®, Geobella® and more. High on style and performance, these fabrics will look great for years to come
The pillow forms we used in the video are regular, interior pillows. Therefore, we recommend bringing these pillows inside or covering them during any inclement weather. For more weather-resistant pillow forms, we also offer Weather Soft™ Water-Resistant Outdoor Pillow Forms. These are more durable pillow form that can be left outside. Be sure to pair these outdoor pillow forms with an equally water-resistant outdoor fabric.
In the video, you’ll learn a few helpful tips for giving your pillows a professional edge, including how to create neatly rounded corners, how to make and use custom piping, and how to sew a slip stitch to close the cover.
- Measuring & Patterning – 0:24 min.
- Making Piping – 3:24 min.
- Sewing Piping to Plates – 6:11 min.
- Inserting Pillow Forms – 9:09 min.
- Materials List – 11:20 min.
- Sunbrella® Upholstery Fabric
- Pillow form
- Dura-Skrim® Patterning Material #103134
- V-69 Polyester Thread (we used white #20235)
- Medium 1/4" Welting Cord #107036
- Multiuse Pins #102985
- Gingher® Scissors (Right Handed #19104)
- Tape Measure #102986
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" #102400
- Comfort Grip Rotary Cutter 60mm #9655
- Cutting Mat 18" x 24" #102990
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LS-1 PLUS Walking Foot Sewing Machine #300502
- Assorted Curved Hand Sewing Needles #100100
We hope you enjoyed this pillow tutorial! How did your pillow turn out? Post photos of your finished pillow in the comments below or on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter and be sure to tag us. We love seeing what our creative customers are making!