How to Make an Adjustable Webbing Strap With Snap Hook Ends
Bimini and dodger frames often need a bit of extra support to keep their fabric tops taut. You can provide this extra support two different ways: with a rigid support strut or with an adjustable webbing strap. Using a webbing strap allows for quick and easy tension adjustments and knockdown of the bimini or dodger. You can learn more about the differences between the two options in our comparison article. If you decide to go with a webbing support strap, this quick video will show you how to make your own step-by-step. This strap design uses snap hooks at both ends to attach the strap to the frame and boat railing.
We made these webbing support straps to reinforce the new bimini top we made for our Camp Whitley Project Pontoon boat. For the best UV resistance, we chose Sunbrella® webbing. This webbing is made from a blend of Sunbrella acrylic fibers and polyester and holds up excellently in the sun, plus it comes in an exact color match to popular Sunbrella canvas colors.
As we stated earlier, this webbing strap design uses fast eye snap hooks at both ends of the webbing strap. Using a hook at each ends makes this webbing strap easy to connect to your frame and railing and also makes it very fast to remove when you need to disassemble or knockdown your bimini or dodger. However, this particular design isn't the only way to sew a webbing strap. We also have an informative video showing you how to sew a webbing strap that loops around the frame at one end (#102889XHT).
Making your own support strap is a straightforward project. Watch the video to below to see which order to assemble your strap. We hope this blog has been helpful and informative! Let us know if you have any questions regarding this easy sewing project.
- Measuring & Cutting Webbing – 0:43 min.
- Sewing Tab for Webbing Slider – 1:40 min.
- Securing Fast Eye Snap Hook – 4:10 min.
- Sewing Adjustable Leg – 6:18 min.
- Materials List – 9:33 min.
- 1" Sunbrella® Webbing (we used Black #144408)
- Webbing Slider Stainless Steel 1” #28207
- Fast Eye Snap Hook Stainless Steel 1" #100532
- YKK® Loop Loc Plastic Black 1" #104426
- Strap Eye Stainless Steel #28221
- Filament Strapping Tape 3/4" #5643
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas #129
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package #103800 (110 Volt)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ‑1 PLUS (110V) Walking Foot Sewing Machine #300602