How to Re-Cover a Chair Seat With Faux Leather/Vinyl Fabric
Looking for a simple and beginner-friendly way to spruce up your dining room table and bring new life to one of the most important rooms in your home? How about re-covering your chair seats with faux leather or vinyl fabric? This fun DIY project will freshen up your dining room in a quick and easy way!
Re-covering chair seats doesn’t have to be an expensive project. We’ll show you the three different tools you can use to cut the foam for your new seats. The Sailrite® Foam Saw with Carrying Case is a high-quality saw that features dual blades for smooth, clean cuts. But you can also use an electric kitchen knife or scissors to cut the foam. These alternatives result in less professional-looking cuts, but are good enough for re-covering a dining room chair and are tools you probably already have on hand. We’ll also show you a great trick for saving money on costly foam by gluing sections of foam together.
Let us take the guesswork out of figuring out how much fabric and foam you’ll need. We’ll do the math for you and show you how to calculate the measurement requirements for your fabric and foam so you don’t buy too much or not enough supplies. We chose to re-cover our chair with Ultraleather® — a luxury faux leather fabric that is ideal for upholstery projects. It is easy to clean, has an extremely supple hand, is incredibly durable, and has the look and feel of genuine leather. Not only is Ultraleather ideal for dining room chair upholstery, but it’s also great for automobile seats, yacht interiors and RV interiors, making it the perfect indoor upholstery fabric.
In this video, we will show you how to remove your existing chair seats, how to measure and cut new foam if needed, and how to attach your new fabric to your chair seat.
- Calculating Fabric & Foam Required — 0:38 min.
- Removing Old Fabric — 2:22 min.
- Cutting New Foam — 3:34 min.
- Gluing Foam Together — 5:06 min.
- Stapling Vinyl Cover to Seat — 6:06 min.
- Stapling Dust Cover to Seat Bottom — 10:43 min.
- Materials List — 11:36 min.
- 1" x 24" x 80" #281F2480 (firm) OR #281X2480 (extra firm) High Density Polyurethane Foam
- Faux Leather/Vinyl Fabric from Sailrite (we used Ultraleather® Original Parrot #104278)
- Cambric Dust Cover Black 36" Fabric #122512
- Sailrite® 21 Gauge 1/2" (12mm) Staples 10,000/Box (Galvanized)- #8012GZ
- Tape Measure 120" #102986
- Tack & Staple Remover #104319
- Ginger® 8" Scissors Right Handed #19104
- Sailrite® Blade Foam Cutter with Carrying Case #121244
- Foam Lock Spray Adhesive 12 oz. #120464
- Sailrite® Short Nose Upholstery Staple Gun #121410
- Screwdriver, Pliers, Razor Knife, Sharpie Marker, Pencil, Straightedge