How to Sew a Bullnose Cushion Cover
Bullnose cushions are often found on boats and patio furniture and are easily distinguished by their signature “waterfall” front. Many people prefer the aesthetics of a bullnose cushion to the traditional piping and boxing on the front. In our fifth and final installment of the DIY Porch Makeover Series, we’re going to show you how to achieve this bullnose cushion look for your boat or outdoor space.
When we bought these wicker chairs for the porch, they didn’t have cushions on them at all. We decided to make bullnose cushions from scratch to provide a more comfortable seat and to incorporate another great fabric into the space. Then we made coordinating lumbar pillows to finish the look of the chairs. You can learn more about those lumbar pillows in our companion video "How to Make a Lumbar Pillow" (#200603XHT).
To make our bullnose cushions, we started by creating a pattern using Dura-Skrim® Patterning Material and tracing the outline of the chair’s seat. This pattern was then used to cut the foam to the proper size and shape. We patterned the P/Kaufmann Outdoor fabric from the newly cut foam. We also chose to add custom piping to the sides of our cushion, but this is optional.
In this video, you will learn how to pattern your foam, pattern your fabric, make your own piping, sew boxing, make and attach a zipper plaque, and insert the foam.
- Patterning Foam – 0:22 min.
- Patterning Fabric – 2:09 min.
- Cutting & Sewing Piping – 3:55 min.
- Cutting & Sewing Boxing – 11:24 min.
- Making Zipper Plaque – 18:58 min.
- Sewing Zipper Plaque to Cover – 24:06 min.
- Inserting Foam – 27:33 min.
- Materials List – 28:50 min.
- Dura-Skrim Patterning Material #103134
- CushionRite® Dry Fast or Standard Antimicrobial Foam
- Outdoor Fabric (we used a P/Kaufmann Outdoor fabric)
- Tex 70 Polyester Thread
- Piping Cord 5/32" (optional #105599)
- YKK® #4.5 Coil Continuous Zipper #104385
- YKK® #4.5 Coil Slider #104336
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife #103800
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape #129
- Deluxe Magnetic Sewing Guide #103597
- Deluxe Seam Ripper #18104
- Sewing machine with cording foot
This concludes our DIY Porch Makeover series. What did you think of the series? Would you like to see more before and afters like this? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!