How to Sew a Backrest Cushion for a Chaise Lounge
As the final part of our Chaise Lounge Revamp, we’re going to be walking you through all the necessary steps to sew a new removable backrest cushion for your chaise lounge. This method can be modified for any chaise lounge or sofa backrest cushion. The backrest cushion that we’ll be working on is filled with polyester fiberfill instead of foam, but the principles are the same for one stuffed with foam. Let’s begin!
To create a pattern for our backrest cushion, we’ve decided to cut the old cushion fabric apart at the stitching and measure it on top of our new fabric. Not sure what fabric you should choose for your backrest cushion or chaise lounge? We can help! Here at Sailrite®, we have hundreds of superior-quality upholstery fabrics to choose from in a variety of colors, textures and styles. It’s so easy to order samples of these fabrics to help you experience their unique look and feel before you make your final decision.
In our step-by-step tutorial, we’ve sewn our own bias piping to add to the backrest cushion to create a more polished look. To accomplish this, we utilized the Medium 5/32" Welting Cord, Crypton Home fabric and the Cording Foot Set 1/4” from Sailrite. This specially engineered cording foot set makes it quick and easy to sew piping in sizes ranging from 5/32 to 9/32 inch on the Sailrite® Fabricator® Sewing Machine, Sailrite® 111 Sewing Machine, Sailrite® Big-N-Tall Sewing Machine, Consew 206RB and the Juki 1541. Trust us, it will save you time and frustration whenever you work on custom piping.
Still have questions or concerns about your backrest cushion or any other DIY project? Don’t stress — our skilled customer support team is available to assist you via email, phone or the chat function on our website. And when you’re finished with your project, be sure to share a picture on social media or in the comments section below. We’d love to see your finished masterpiece!
- Disassembly & Measuring of Old Cushion – 0:51 min
- Cutting New Decorative Fabric – 2:47 min
- Creating & Sewing Bias Piping – 6:25 min
- Sewing Piping on Plates – 10:00 min
- Making Zipper Plaque & Boxing – 12:19 min
- Sewing Boxing to Plates – 17:12 min
- Inserting Stuffing – 26:57 min
- Materials List – 28:18 min
- Decor & Upholstery Fabric from Sailrite – we used Crypton® Home Daria Eggshell - #121890
- V-69 Nylon Thread from Sailrite
- Medium 5/32" Welting Cord - #107035
- YKK® Continuous Zipper Chain #5 White (Coil) - #104387
- YKK® Zipper Slider #5 White Metal Single Lock Pull (Coil) - #104356
- Polyester Fiberfill 15 Denier ‑ Hollow Slick Conjugate - #104467
- Gingher® Scissors Right Hand Lightweight 8" - #101017
- Tape Measure 120 Inch - #102986
- Multiuse Pins 1 1/2" - #102985
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" - #102400
- Sailrite® Fabricator® Sewing Machine, Table & Workhorse™ Servo Motor - #400500
- Cording Foot Set 1/4" for Fabricator, 111 & Big-N-Tall - #400414