How to Make Curtains Using Sew-On Tab Tape
Adding curtains to a window that already has a roller shade is a great way to dress up your space and add a warm, homey atmosphere. You might be thinking that an RV doesn’t have the room for this type of project. But, actually, that’s not the case at all. If you’re looking to add a stylish curtain to a window in your camper or boat cabin, this is the project for you! Join us for this fun and easy DIY video tutorial.
There’s not a lot of room in an RV, so you need to make the most of the space you have. Curtain rods are big and take up a lot of valuable wall space. Instead, you can use a curtain track and a product called Sew-On Tab Tape to house your curtain panels. Curtain track is a more streamlined piece of hardware than a curtain rod. Plus, it’s flexible so it can take the curve of your RV or boat interior, and you can mount it easily to the wall or ceiling. It’s a great choice when you want to make your own beautiful, pleated window treatment.
Here's a closer look at Sew-On Tab Tape and how it fits inside the curtain track.
The Sew-On Tab Tape is sewn to the top of the curtain panels. then the tabs are inserted into the curtain track so you can easily slide your curtains open and closed. Not only do these curtains look attractive and provide privacy, but they’re also a great way to tie the room together by using upholstery fabric from another living room project.
Our video tutorial makes it easy to DIY camper curtains for your motor home, trailer or RV. Order your sewing supplies, watch the video below, and learn how to sew your own pleated curtains.
This is just one of the many window treatment projects we’ve done for our RV Renovation Series. We’ve also sewn simple roller shades, Roman roller shades, ribbed Roman shades, faux tie-back curtains and more. If you’d like to see all of the projects in our RV series, just type “RV Renovation Series” into the search field on our website. Your next amazing DIY awaits!
- Intro — 0:00 min.
- Measuring for Curtains — 0:45 min.
- Measuring & Cutting Fabric — 6:06 min.
- Creating Hems — 9:36 min.
- Creating Mitered Corners — 12:26 min.
- Sewing Hems — 15:30 min.
- Installing Sew-On Tab Tape — 20:19 min.
- Installing Curtains — 23:46 min.
- Materials & Tools List — 29:17 min.
- Decorative Fabric from Sailrite we used - Sunbrella® Bliss Clay 54" Fabric #48135-0005
- Seamstick 1/4" Basting Tape for Canvas & Upholstery (36 yds.) #122065
- Coats Extra Strong® Hemp Nylon Upholstery Thread (150 yds.) #104817
- Sew-On Tab Tape #100878
- Curtain Track Horizontal Mount Vinyl 48" #100758
- Chalk Pen White #123131
- Gingher® 8" Scissors Right Handed #19104
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" #102400
- Wonder Clips Assorted Colors (10 pack) #121876
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ PREMIUM With WorkerB® Power Pack (110V) #311603
- Deluxe 5-1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide #103597
- Drill, Screws, Yardstick, Pencil