How to Reupholster a Dining Chair With Piping
Have your dining room or kitchen chairs seen better days? Are you tired of the fabric on the seats and want an easy-to-DIY refresh? Then keep reading! In today’s blog, we’ll show you how to replace the existing, outdated fabric on a dining room chair with modern and stylish fabric from Sailrite®. Piping adds a polished look to the chair and is the perfect finishing touch to this project. Even if you’re new to sewing, you’ll be able to master this simple upholstery project. Let’s get started!
Once you have the chair seat removed from the frame and have removed all the staples, it’s time to inspect the foam. If the foam on your chair has bottomed out and you’re feeling the wood, it needs to be replaced. For dining room chairs that get a lot of use, we recommend 1-inch CushionRite™ Premium high-density foam in either Firm or Extra Firm. High-density foam has the longest lifespan in seating foam (up to 12 years!), so we recommend it for seating that experiences daily use.
Next up — fabric. We chose Crypton® Home upholstery fabric for our dining chair. We like using Crypton for home décor projects because it’s an easy-to-clean indoor fabric with high abrasion and stain resistance. It keeps up with your family — kids, pets and all. With hundreds of fabrics to choose from ranging from understated neutrals to fun stripes and bold abstracts, there’s a Crypton fabric for your home.
Hang on to your old seat fabric — you’ll use it as a pattern to trace and cut your new seat. Once you have the fabric stapled to the chair seat, it’s time to sew the piping. Watch the video below for the full tutorial and get started on your own dining chair upholstery project.
Did you enjoy this easy upholstery DIY? We’ve got so many more upholstery projects waiting for you in our blog section. Just search “upholstery” on our website and click on “DIY Projects.” We can’t wait to see what you make next! Post your project photos on social using #Sailrite so we can see what you’re DIYing!
- Intro — 0:00 min.
- Removing Old Fabric — 0:35 min.
- Stapling New Cover to Seat — 3:29 min.
- Making Piping — 10:22 min.
- Stapling Dust Cover & Piping to Seat Bottom — 14:10 min.
- Materials & Tools List — 17:20 min.
- Décor & Upholstery Fabric from Sailrite® — we used Crypton® Home Enzo Slate #123489
- 21 Gauge 3/8" (10mm) Staples 10,000/Box (Galvanized) #8010GZ
- Foam Piping/Welting Cord 5/32" #122259
- V-69 Silver UV Bonded Polyester Thread 4 oz. (1,350 yds.) #106138
- Cambric Dust Cover Black 36" Fabric #122512
- Staple Lifter #120037
- Professional Stainless Steel 10" Scissors #123615
- Sailrite® Long Nose Upholstery Staple Gun #121411
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" #102400
- Chalk Pen White #123131
- Soft Grip Rotary Cutter 45mm #123114
- Sailrite® Double-Sided Cutting Mat 36" x 24" Extra Large #123113
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ Walking Foot Sewing Machine (100-230V) #300600
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® Industrial Sewing Table #120934