How to Reupholster an Armless Chair
Leisure chairs, also known as slipper chairs or occasional chairs, are simple in design. They feature short legs and sit closer to the ground than other chairs. These small decorative chairs add a nice accent feature and touch of style to your home and can be found in bedrooms, living rooms and even bathrooms. If you don't like the fabric on your leisure chair, it's easy to replace it with high-quality, beautiful upholstery fabric from Sailrite®. In today's blog, we're going to show you how easy it is to reupholster an armless leisure chair. Join us for this fun upholstery project!
This is a fantastic DIY project for anyone new to sewing or anyone wanting to try their hand at upholstery work. An armless chair like this has a simple shape and construction, making it the ideal project for sewers wanting to learn how to upholster. Our video tutorial walks you through the entire process and explains every step in detail, so you'll never miss a thing.
Sailrite has hundreds of upholstery fabrics to choose from — always in stock and ready to ship. We chose a lush, velvet fabric in an intricate geometric pattern for our armchair. If you select a striped or patterned fabric for your chair, you'll learn how to arrange your fabric panels during patterning so that the pattern transitions seamlessly from the front of the chair to the sides for a professional and polished look.
This video is chockfull of useful upholstery tips, such as using a special glue gun adapter nozzle to reach the tight, inside corners of your chair frame for precise and tidy gluing. You'll learn how to remove your existing fabric and use the pieces as a template to pattern your new fabric. You'll learn how to sew the panels together and even how to make your own piping. Best of all, this project requires only a few tools, which is another reason this is a great beginner upholstery project.
If you enjoyed this tutorial and would like to explore more of our free upholstery DIYs, please visit our "How-To" section where you can find hundreds of project videos on home, marine and auto upholstery.
- Disassembling & Removing Fabric — 1:23 min.
- Cutting Apart Covers — 5:08 min.
- Patterning Backrest — 6:30 min.
- Sewing Backrest — 11:20 min.
- Patterning Seat — 20:09 min.
- Sewing Seat — 23:25 min.
- Stapling Seat — 27:44 min.
- Stapling Backrest — 36:14 min.
- Sewing & Adding Piping — 42:30 min.
- Assembling Chair & Adding Dust Cover — 47:57 min.
- Materials & Tools List — 49:32 min.
- Décor & Upholstery Fabric from Sailrite (we used Platinum Lucca Marble #121273)
- V-69 Black UV Bonded Nylon Thread 4 oz. (1,500 yds.) #106137
- Hot Melt Acrylic Glue Sticks #102210
- Medium 5/32" Welting Cord (50 ft.) #122444
- Staple Lifter #120037
- Gingher® 8" Scissors Right Handed #19104
- Self Healing Rotary Cutting Mat 24" x 36" #120257
- Rotary Cutter 28mm #139900
- Chalk Pencil Cartridge Set #121669
- Flexible Curve 18" #122445
- Sailrite® Long Nose Upholstery Staple Gun #121411
- 21 Gauge 3/8" (10mm) Staples 10,000/Box (Galvanized) #8010GZ
- Multiuse Pins 1 1/2" (Pk250) #102985
- Deluxe 5 1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide #103597
- Surebonder® HE 750 Professional High Temp Glue Gun #103684
- Hot Glue Gun Adapter Nozzle #103685
- Hot Glue Gun Tip #102667
- Comfort Grip Rotary Cutter 60mm #9655
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" #102400
- Sailrite® Deluxe Fabricator® Sewing Machine (110V) #400600
- Cording Foot Set 1/4" for Fabricator® #400414
- Marker, Straightedge