How to Make a Foredeck Sail Bag Kit
A foredeck bag is a fantastic way to protect your sails from the elements, and by storing your headsail on the deck of your boat in a foredeck bag, you’ll be freeing up some room in your sail locker as well. Sound appealing? The good news is that you can easily sew your own professional-looking foredeck bag using our Foredeck Sail Bag Kits. To learn more about this handy addition and how to sew your own with help from Sailrite®, keep reading!
If you prefer to cover your sails overnight or if you’d like to keep your boat in a slip without removing and stowing the headsail, you may want to consider using a foredeck bag. A foredeck bag is often made of canvas (in our case Sunbrella® Marine Grade fabric) and closes around a doused headsail that is left attached to the forestay when you are not under sail. They are similar to the nylon sail bags used to store sails below deck but boast greater durability and have different openings to fit around sail hanks as they are attached to the forestay.
Our Foredeck Sail Bag Kits from Sailrite are remarkable for a number of reasons. Not only can they be utilized to properly store and protect your sail, but they’re also totally customizable. They’re available in five sizes so you select the one that best suits your sail and boat size. Once you’ve selected a size, you can also choose from a number of rich colors made from high-performance Sunbrella Marine Grade fabric. Sunbrella fabric is ideal for foredeck bags due to its stain, abrasion, UV, mold and mildew resistant properties to perfectly protect your sail time after time. And because it’s made of 100 percent solution-dyed acrylic, it will retain consistent color both inside and out!
These kits come with all the fabric and notions necessary to get started, all you need to provide is a high-quality sewing machine. When you receive your Foredeck Sail Bag Kit from us, the fabric will come pre-plotted for easier cutting. We recommend using the Sailrite® Edge Hotknife, as it’s the most efficient way to cut and seal your Sunbrella fabric simultaneously while you work. You’ll also have access to both written instructions found as a PDF download on the product page plus step-by-step video instructions (via this blog and YouTube) to assist you.
To use our kit for your hanked sail, simply douse the sail leaving the hanks or jib snaps on the forestay, then stuff the sail into the foredeck bag and zip the front edge closed over the top of the forestay wire. Attach the halyard to the back edge, via the webbing loop, and lift the foredeck bag off the deck. Now your sail is stored and protected from UV rays, pollution, wind and storms!
Follow along with our step-by-step video to turn this DIY into a fully functioning part of your boat. If you have any questions during the process, feel free to contact a member of our highly-trained customer support staff. We’d be happy to assist you. And once you’re finished, we’d love to see photos in the comments. Happy sailing!
- Cut Out the Pattern -- 1:05 min.
- Attach the Dacron® Patches -- 1:44 min.
- Add the Zippers -- 9:46 min.
- Reinforce the Bag -- 17:42 min.
- Assemble the Bag -- 21:59 min.
- Loading the Bag -- 31:00 min.
- Materials & Tools List -- 33:33 min.
Foredeck Bag Kits Include the Following:
- Pre-Patterned Sunbrella® Marine Grade Fabric
- 8 oz. Dacron Tape 4"
- 8 oz. Dacron Tape 3"
- YKK® Finished Zipper #10 VISLON® White Double Pull
- V-92 White UV Polyester Thread
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas
- Webbing Tubular Polyester 1" White 2700#
- Sailrite Adhesive Backed Logo
- Foredeck Bag Kit Instructions
Tools List (not included in kit):
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package (110V) - Item #103800
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" - Item #102400
- Gingher® Scissors Right Hand Lightweight 8" - Item #101017
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ‑1 PLUS Sewing Machine - Item #300602
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® Collapsible Sewing Table - Item #104821
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler - Item #107040
- Chalk Pencil Cartridge Set - Item #121669
- Deluxe 5 1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide - Item #103597
- Straight Edge, Pencil