How to Make Boat Interior Curtains
Sometimes it’s the small details that help make a space feel like home. This is especially true if your home (full or part-time) is a boat. There generally isn’t a lot of room for personalization in a boat’s cabin where function comes first, but curtains are a great way to add a cozy feeling to your cabin while also being really practical. We’re going to show you how to sew and install beautiful, functional curtains for your boat’s cabin.
Adding curtains is a great way to enhance your privacy as well as to help keep out the heat. For these reasons, we recommend choosing a heavier fabric that has good UV resistance. We chose a Sunbrella® Upholstery Fabric for our curtains, but occasional outdoor use fabrics are also a good option. Explore our wide selection of decor and upholstery fabrics to find the right fabric for your boat and style needs. For those times you want extra light in the cabin, you can make hook-and-loop tie-backs to keep the curtains open.
Cabin curtains are simple to install and sew. Many boats are already outfitted with some sort of curtain track system but if yours isn’t, hanging a curtain track is a quick process. In the video, we also demonstrate how to measure for the curtain track, install mounting clips and add the track.
- Installing Mounting Clips - 0:28 min.
- Patterning Fabric - 2:14 min.
- Sewing Curtain - 5:40 min.
- Sewing Curtain Tie - 8:53 min.
- Installing Carriers & Curtain - 10:46 min.
- Materials List - 12:49 min.
- Marine Upholstery Fabric
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape #129
- V-69 Polyester Thread
- 1" Hook (#473100) & Loop (#478100) Velcro
- Vinyl Surface Mount Curtain Track #100910
- Mounting Clip for Curtain Track #102573
- Flat Head Screws 6" x 1/2" #777040
- Snap-On Tape for Curtains #100911
- Snap-On Carrier #102211
- End Stop for Curtain Track #310081
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife #103800
- Sewing machine
- Drill and drill bits
- Hand needle
Find the perfect fabric for your boat’s interior as well as several curtain hanging systems here at Sailrite®.
How do you personalize your cabin? Have any of you made your own curtains? Share your thoughts and tips in the comments!