How to Make a Companionway Cover Video
The cabin on your sailboat should be as cozy as home (since for some of you it is home!). A little extra natural light or a cool breeze can go a long way in making the cabin more comfortable. Instead of wrangling with wooden hatch boards all season, you can make your own custom companionway cover to improve your cabin comfort.
Our new how-to video showcases how to measure for and create your own companionway cover with a roll-up flap. We recommend using Sunbrella® Marine Grade Fabric for the cover and either a Phifertex Mesh screen to allow for airflow or a clear vinyl window for extra light. The roll-up flap can be secured over the window or screen to provide privacy.
Companionway covers fit over the companionway door and attach with snaps so they are easy to install and remove. An added bonus with these covers is that they can also attach over the wooden hatch boards to protect them from the weather and sun, so you can spend less time varnishing and more time on the water.
- Taking Measurements - 0:19 min.
- Sewing Double Hem - 5:50 min.
- Installing Screen - 10:02 min.
- Creating Screen Cover - 13:20 min.
- Adding Roll-up Strap - 18:12 min.
- Installing Snap Fasteners - 22:38 min.
- Fastening Cover to Hatch - 24:47 min.
- Using Finished Cover - 26:39 min.
- Materials List - 27:59 min.
- Sunbrella® Marine Grade Fabric (we used Marine Blue #4678-0000)
- Seamstick 3/8” Basting Tape #129
- V-92, Tenara, or Sailrite® Lifetime Thread
- Phifertex® Mesh (we used Black #388) or 30 Gauge Plastipane Window Material #103439
- 1” Hook (#469100) and Loop (#427100) Velcro
- 1” Sunbrella® Acrylic Bias Binding
- SnapRite® Cloth-to-Cloth (#104909) and Cloth-to-Surface (#104911) Fasteners
- YKK® SNAD® Adhesive Backed Flexible Stud #103652
- Tape Measure #102986
- Soapstone Fabric Marking Pencil #102766
- Sewing machine
- Deluxe Magnetic Sewing Guide #103597
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife #103800
- Sailrite® SnapRite® System #104237
- Seam Ripper Deluxe #18104
- 3M™ Tape Primer 94 - Adhesive Promoter #104166