How to Build a Home Awning Video
Home awnings are a unique and functional way to boost your home's curb appeal. Adding stationary awnings above your windows looks great and can help keep your home cooler in warmer temperatures. In this how-to video, Eric will explain the process as he works to replace the awnings on his home.
Using this step-by-step instructional video you can affordably build gorgeous awnings that will fit perfectly on your home. Eric constructs his awnings using aluminum tubing, nylon fittings, and Sunbrella Awning Fabric in the eye-catching stripe Rumba Cactus.
This thorough how-to video walks you through the entire awning building process including: determining the frame size, constructing the frame, sewing the fabric, and installing the awning. Plus, at the end of the video there is a complete list of all the materials needed to complete your awning project.
- Getting Started
- Strut & Rafter Requirements - 0:49 min.
- Strut & Rafter Hardware List - 1:41 min.
- Measuring Window - 2:51 min.
- Tubing & Fabric Requirements - 6:04 min.
- Building Frame
- Installing Hardware to Window - 9:22 min.
- Fabricating Struts & Rafters - 12:51 min.
- Cutting or Extending Front Bar - 22:20 min.
- Cutting or Extending Head Rod Bar - 27:08 min.
- Creating Fabric Awning
- Measuring Installed Frame - 30:36 min.
- Determining Fabric Cut Size - 32:17 min.
- Cutting Fabric - 33:08 min.
- Joining Fabric Panels - 34:51 min.
- Trimming Fabric Width - 40:05 min.
- Opening Cuts for Strut Attachment - 40:49 min.
- Hemming Side Edges - 44:21 min.
- Sewing Sleeve for Front Bar & Head Rod - 47:34 min.
- Installing Awning on Frame - 53:31 min.
- Material List - 59:10 min.
- Hardware Fittings (per each strut & rafter required)
- 1 Rod & Rafter Holder #284103
- 2 Nylon Jaw Slides #100692
- 4 Nylon Inside Eye Ends #100681
- 1 Nylon Deck Hinge #100690
- 4 Stainless Steel Phillips Head Screws #10x1" #103222
- 7/8" Aluminum Tubing #28209 (width measurement + 6 inches)
- 7/8" Aluminum Tubing #28209 (projection measurement x number of rafters)
- 7/8" Aluminum Tubing #28209 (depth measurement x number of struts)
- 3/4" Aluminum Tubing #1137 (6 inches per each joint of 7/8" tubing, if required)
- Conduit EMT 1/2" Tubing (width measurement + 6 inches)
- 5/8" Threaded Rod (6 inches per each joint of EMT, if required)
- Sunbrella Marine Grade or Awning Fabric (we used Rumba Cactus)
- V-69 or V-92 Polyester Thread or Lifetime Thread
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas #129
- Sewing machine
- Hacksaw or reciprocating saw
- Tape measure
- String with weight
- Eye protection
- 3M Adhesive Fast Cure 5200 #100262
- Crimper Tool for Aluminum Tubing #100649