How to Make a Toiletry Bag
A toiletry bag, also called a makeup bag or a cosmetics bag, is a versatile option for storing small personal hygiene items, cosmetics, and other travel necessities when you’re on the go. Now you finally have the opportunity to make a custom toiletry bag with the fabric of your choice! They also make great personalized gifts. Our video tutorial will walk you through all the steps needed to pattern and sew your very own toiletry bag.
Did we mention that this is the perfect starter project for those just learning to sew? Our step-by-step tutorial is easy to follow for both amateurs and professionals alike. For the outer part of our DIY toiletry bag, we’ll be using a Cotton Duck #8 fabric combined with a patterned fabric for added style and customization, such as Sunbrella® Upholstery Fabric.
This bag features an inner lining that hides the inside seams and gives it a truly finished look. For the lining of this toiletry bag, we’re using Nylon 400D fabric. We’ve chosen this particular fabric because it’s lightweight, durable, quick-drying and easy to clean. This is essential if you’re going to be using it as a cosmetics bag or storing things such as toothpaste or lotion. In the event of a spill or a stain, you’ll be able to wipe up the mess without damaging the exterior of the bag. You can also sew an optional smaller pocket inside the bag for holding items like cotton swabs and bobby pins.
From start to finish, Sailrite has everything you need to create these fashionable, personalized toiletry and cosmetic bags. It starts with our selection of hundreds of quality fabrics, followed by our sewing notions like marking pencils and acrylic rulers. And when you’re ready to sew, the Ultrafeed® Sewing Machine is a portable, powerful machine capable of tackling the multiple layers of fabric used in this project.
How did your project turn out? When you’ve finished, be sure to share a photo of the finished bag on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter and use #Sailrite in the caption for a chance to be featured on one of our social media platforms. We’d love to see your work!
- Cutting Patterns - 0:31 Min
- Sewing Accent Fabric to Canvas - 1:57 Min
- Installing Zippered Top - 3:30 Min
- Sewing Perimeter - 6:50 Min
- Materials List - 11:29 Min
- Decor & Upholstery Fabric - we used Sunbrella® - #145239-0000
- Cotton Duck #8 Off White 18oz 60" Fabric - #103406
- Seamstick 1/4" Basting Tape for Canvas (36Yds) - #122065
- Nylon 400D Dark Blue 62" Fabric - #40011
- YKK® Continuous Zipper Chain #4.5 Black (Coil) - #104386
- YKK® Zipper Slider #4.5 Black Metal Single Non‑Locking Pull (Coil) - #104361
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" - #102400
- Comfort Grip Rotary Cutter 60mm - #9655
- Grease Marking Pencil Yellow - #111002
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package (110V) - #103800
- Tempered Cutting Glass for Hotknife - #121915
- Deluxe 5 1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide - #103597
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LS‑1 BASIC Walking Foot Sewing Machine - #300501
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® Industrial Table & Workhorse™ Servo Motor - #120931
- Gingher® Scissors Right Hand Lightweight 8" - #101017
- Wonder Clips ‑ Assorted Colors (Set of 10) - #121876