How to Repair a Sail's Spreader Patch Video
A spreader patch is used in sailboat sails, especially genoas, to combat the damage that a sharp-pointed object (usually the mast's spreader tip) can cause when the sail brushes up against it. This type of damage is a very common issue and if the sail is not protected or not checked periodically in that area serious damage may occur. In this video, we will repair a sail which has been damaged often due to hitting the spreader. We will show you how to properly sew in new Dacron® sailcloth and then install a new spreader patch using Dacron Insignia fabric from Sailrite®.
The first step is to use a seam ripper to rip all the stitches in the spreader patch so it can be completely removed from the rest of the sail. If you have patches on top of patches, you’ll need to remove everything to get to the original sail layer before you can make repairs.
The sail we are working on in this video is extremely damaged. It has multiple rips and holes in the spreader area, so the best thing for us to do is to install a new spreader patch and then cut out the original, damaged part of the sale. It’s similar to how you install a new window in a sail.
Follow along with our how-to video as we walk you through the steps of repairing and installing a sew spreader patch on your sail.
If there are more repairs that are needed on your sail, be sure to explore our entire “Sail Repair How-To Series.” Click on “Marine Projects” under the “How-To” menu on our website, and then click the “Sail Repair” category. Browse our entire collection of sail repair videos. Whether you need to install a new sail window, fix rips and holes in your sail, or reinstall a corner ring, we've got a how-to video showing you how it's done.
- Dacron® sailcloth from Sailrite® roughly the weight of the sail (+/- 1 ounce)
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape - Item # 659
- Thread V-92 Polyester White UV 4oz - Item # 100079
- Tape Dacron® 5oz FOLDED White 3" - Item # 13800
- Insignia Adhesive Backed White 54" - Item # 945
- Seam Ripper Deluxe - Item # 18104
- Gingher® Scissors Right Handed - Item # 19104
- Scratch Awl Yellow - Item # 2354
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ-1 PLUS Walking Foot Sewing Machine - Item # 300602
- Tape Measure, Pencil, Yardstick