How to Make a Custom Catamaran Trampoline
Trampolines found on multihull and monohull sailboats serve multiple purposes. Trampolines do not catch air and they also drain water quickly. They also fill the gap at the bow of the vessel. They’re fun to lie on, and they also provide a cushioned, supportive surface if you fall and to walk on as you move around the boat. In this how-to video, we’ll teach you how to sew your own custom catamaran trampoline to your boat’s exact measurements and specifications. Join us!
While this is a very easy DIY, it is a bit labor intensive. First, let’s gather all the supplies needed for this sewing project. You’ll need the following materials and supplies: trampoline mesh, Shelter-Rite® fabric, basting tape, hole cutter and die set, nickel-plated spur grommets, a fabric marking pencil, sewing machine and basic sewing supplies you probably already have.
We cut strips of Shelter-Rite fabric to use as reinforcement material for the grommet installation. Cut wide strips and then fold the material in half and crease it. Shelter-Rite does not crease easily, so use an object like a straight edge or anything handy to apply pressure to create a visible crease in the center of the strips. The basting tape helps sandwich the Shelter-Rite strips to the edges of the trampoline material.
We’re sewing our catamaran trampoline with an industrial sewing machine. However, it’s not necessary to use an industrial machine. The Sailrite® Ultrafeed® Sewing Machine will be able to handle the layers of material without issue or skipped stitches! Watch the video below to see how easy it is to sew a trampoline for your sailing vessel.
If you have any questions as you get started on your trampoline project, we’re always happy to help! You can call, email or online chat with us and we’ll get you and your DIY back on track. With Sailrite in your corner, no DIY is beyond your reach! Happy sewing!
- Cutting Tramp & Edging — 0:19 min.
- Basting & Sewing Edging — 1:19 min.
- Finishing Slit for Rigging — 4:11 min.
- Installing Spur Grommets — 10:41 min.
- Materials List — 11:55 min.
- Trampoline Mesh Black 74” #5624
- Shelter-Rite® Black 61” #1120121
- Seamstick 3/8” Basting Tape for Canvas #129
- V-92 Black Polyester UV Thread 4oz #100071
- Spur Grommet Nickel #4 #26318
- Gingher® Scissors Right Hand Lightweight 8” #101017
- Grease Marking Pencil White #101026
- Hole Cutter #4 (1/2”) #121382
- Die Set Spur #4 (1/2”) #18205
- Sailrite® Cutting Block & Die Holder #121597
- Sewing Machine