How to Replace the Fabric on a Director's Chair
A director’s chair is a fun, quirky addition to your seating lineup both indoors and out. However, if the wrong fabric is used for these chairs, they can fade or have their stability compromised by failing material. If your director’s chair is looking a little worse for wear, or you just want to change out the fabric, you’re in luck! We’ll be walking you through the necessary steps to replace the fabric portion of the chair.
Director’s chairs are often made using a cotton duck material that quickly fades in the sun and can even rip after excessive wear. That’s why we’ve chosen Sunbrella® Marine Grade Fabric as the replacement material on our revamped director’s chair. To best match the original old yellow fabric, we’ve chosen Sunbrella Marine Grade in the color Sunflower Yellow (#6002-0000).
Sunbrella solution-dyed acrylic fabrics are extremely durable — they resist fading, stains, mold, mildew, abrasion and are well suited for indoor and outdoor applications. When you sew your director’s chair replacement using Sunbrella, you can rest assured that it will not only look professional, but it will also stand up to daily wear and tear! After time in the sun, the Sunbrella fabric will hold up vastly better than the fabric that was previously on this chair.
In some cases, the fabric on your director’s chair may be in good enough shape that you can take it off and use it to pattern your new fabric, but if this isn’t the case, we’ll walk you through some brief steps to ensure the perfect fit. And to sew everything together, we’ve chosen to use the Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LS-1 Sewing Machine. This straight stitch sewing machine has the superior capability to sew through multiple layers of Sunbrella and other thick fabrics with ease.
How did your director’s chair turn out? Be sure to include before and after photos in the comments below, or use #Sailrite with your photos on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram!
- Making the Seat Back – 0:25 min
- Making the Seat Bottom – 11:07 min
- Materials List – 20:41 min
- Sunbrella® Marine Grade Fabric - we used Sunflower Yellow - Item #4602-0000
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas - Item #129
- Polyester V-92 Thread from Sailrite®
- Tape Measure 120 Inch - Item #102986
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife Package - Item #103800
- Tempered Cutting Glass for Hot Knife - Item #121958
- Chalk Pencil Cartridge Set - Item #121669
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24” - Item #102400
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler - Item #107040
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LS‑1 BASIC Walking Foot Sewing Machine - Item #300501
- Ultrafeed® Industrial Table & Workhorse™ Servo Motor - Item #120931
- Thread Clipper “Kuroha" - Item #121908