How to Sew a Throw Pillow With a Fabric Accent
Are you tired of the same old throw pillows in your home? Looking for a fun sewing project? Consider sewing throw pillows with a fabric accent. Our step-by-step blog will guide you through the entire process of sewing your own throw pillows with fashionable fabric accents. Let’s get started!
Before we begin, it’s important to mention that the throw pillow we’ll be making here has no piping, no fringe and no zipper closure. This makes it a relatively stress-free sewing project. And at the end of the video, we’ll be discussing how to close the pillow’s opening using the invisible hand stitch technique. This technique results in a gorgeous finished stitch that is nearly invisible but still quite secure.
Adding a fabric accent strip to a throw pillow is a great way to add a more contemporary touch to standard throw pillows. Think of it sort of like a racing strip on a car’s paint job. In our video, we’ve created our accent strip using Ultraleather® fabric, which is a durable faux leather available in a wide variety of vibrant colors. But you can use just about any upholstery fabric, vinyl or faux leather for this project depending on the type of look you’re going for.
For the rest of our pillow fabric, we decided to use Sunbrella® Frequency Parchment. If you’re searching for a long-lasting, beautiful fabric that resists mold, mildew, stains and fading, choose Sunbrella! We stand behind these solution-dyed acrylic fabrics because they boast such impressive qualities. Most stains simply wipe away making them ideal for living rooms experiencing heavy traffic, children or pets. If you’d like to learn more about these fabrics, check out our blog “Sunbrella Upholstery Fabrics” (300387XHT).
How did your final pillows turn out? We’d love to see photos in the comments below, or post a photo on social media and use #Sailrite in the caption.
- Cutting Plates - 0:24
- Sewing Accent Strip - 1:49
- Reducing Corners - 3:12
- Sewing Plates - 4:19
- Inserting Pillow Form - 5:37
- Closing with Invisible Stitch - 6:14
- Materials List - 8:55
- Pillow Form from Sailrite - we used Weather Soft™ Water-Resistant Outdoor Pillow Form 18” x 18” - Item #121951
- Decor & Upholstery Fabric - we used Sunbrella® Frequency Parchment - Item #56093-0000
- Accent Fabric from Sailrite - we used Ultraleather® Original Fudge - Item #104244
- Thread from Sailrite - V-69 Polyester or Nylon
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6” x 24” - Item #102400
- Chalk Pencil Cartridge Set - Item #121669
- Marking Chalk for Fabrics - Item #102464
- Self Healing Rotary Cutting Mat 24" x 36" - Item #120257
- Comfort Grip Rotary Cutter 60mm - Item #9655
- Multiuse Pins 1 1/2" - Item #102985
- Sailrite® Fabricator® Sewing Machine - Item #400500
- Gingher® Scissors Right Hand Lightweight 8" - Item #101017
- Tempered Cutting Glass for Hotknife - Item #121915
- Sailrite® Edge Hotknife - Item #103800
- Hand Sewing Needle