How to Reupholster a Bench Seat
Have you ever wanted to learn how to upholster a bench? Well, you're in luck! A platform bench is a popular furniture accent piece found in many homes. Our upholstered bench is in great shape, but we're not crazy about the fabric. So we'll be reupholstering it in a beautiful upholstery fabric from Sailrite. In today's project video, you'll learn how to remove the existing fabric, how to measure and pattern your new fabric, and much more. Let's get started!
We chose a gorgeous velvet upholstery fabric from P/Kaufmann for our bench. The fabric's soft texture and plush appearance adds a sophisticated, high-end look to our project. Using the Sailrite® Fabric Calculator takes the guesswork out of calculating your fabric yardage and orienting your panels. Our fabric has horizontal channels, and we wanted the stripes to run across the length of the plate and across the width of the boxing strips. The Fabric Calculator makes this customization easy and we show you how to use it in our tutorial.
With this type of bench design, the cushion is stapled to a backer board that is then attached to the bench's frame. That means we only need to cut one top panel and the four boxing strips. The easy sewing and assembly process makes this the ideal upholstery project for a first-time upholsterer and beginner DIYer. To add an extra element of style and interest to our bench, we're adding fabric tucks to our cushion. These tucks are created using straight stitches and adding fabric pulls to the cushion assembly.
We have hundreds of high-quality and stylish décor and upholstery fabrics for you to choose from. We carry brands like Sunbrella®, Bella-Dura®, Crypton® and P/Kaufmann, which are top performers and popular choices for DIY sewing projects. And with solids, stripes, geometrics, florals, velvet, railroaded and more to choose from, you're guaranteed to find exactly what you're looking for. Explore our selection of home upholstery fabrics and get started on this fun and easy bench upholstery project.
- Removing Staples & Fabric — 1:01 min.
- Using Fabric Calculator — 3:23 min.
- Cutting Boxing & Top Plate - 6:09 min.
- Sewing Boxing Together — 7:42 min.
- Adding Sew Foam — 10:20 min.
- Sewing Pleats & Fabric Pulls — 12:09 min.
- Sewing Boxing to Top Plate — 16:29 min.
- Stapling Cushion to Backer Board — 21:43 min.
- Materials & Tools List — 29:24 min.
- Décor & Upholstery Fabric from Sailrite (we used P/Kaufmann Channels Platinum #122818)
- V-69 Thread from Sailrite (we used V‑69 Silver Polyester Thread #106138)
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas (50 yds.) #129
- Fabric Backed 1/4" Sew Foam 58" (5 yds.) #121506
- Foam Lock Spray Adhesive 12 oz. #120464
- 21 Gauge 3/8" (10mm) Staples 5,000/Box (Galvanized) #58010GZ
- Cambric Dust Cover Black 36" Fabric #122512
- Staple Lifter #120037
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" #102400
- Scribe‑All® Black Marking Pencil for Vinyl #121977
- Sailrite® Edge Cordless Hotknife 18V Package #122177
- Tempered Cutting Glass for Hotknife #121915
- Deluxe 5 1/2" Magnetic Sewing Guide #103597
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ‑1 PLUS Walking Foot Sewing Machine (110V) #300602
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® Collapsible Sewing Table #104821
- Sailrite® Long Nose Upholstery Staple Gun #121411