How to Make a Chair Cushion With Ties
Does your dining room furniture need a little sprucing up? Are you looking to make your seating more comfortable? We're going to be showing you how to make a custom chair cushion with ties to secure it in the back. This detailed video tutorial will walk you through everything from patterning your own chair to sewing a comfy chair cushion with piping and ties. Let's get started!
Using a chair pad adds a stylish, comfortable place for you to sit at your table. It can make a stiff, wooden chair seem like a cozy seat. And when you add ties to the back of your cushion like in our video tutorial, you can easily secure your cushion to the chair so it won't slide around. This makes them durable and versatile!
In terms of fabric, you can choose just about anything that tickles your fancy. If your chair cushions are going to be at the dinner table, we recommend using a fabric with some stain resistance in the event that you drop food or spill a drink on them. It's also important to pick something with abrasion resistance that can withstand everyday, high-traffic use. We like to use fabric such as Crypton® Home, Sunbrella® or Bella-Dura®. For our project, we wanted something colorful and very plush so we chose to use Covington Bronx Fuchsia fabric.
Here at Sailrite®, we offer a huge variety of premium fabrics that can make any project stand out. If you want to search by a special feature, such as "Stain Resistance" or "Easy to Clean," you can go to our fabric tab and sort by "Fabric Special Features" on the side of the website. That way you can be confident that you're getting the right fabric for your next DIY project. How'd your cushion turn out? Be sure to show us in the comments below!
- Patterning Plates - 0:32 min
- Cutting Piping & Ties - 2:35 min
- Sewing Piping - 3:33 min
- Sewing Ties - 8:14 min
- Sewing Plates Together - 10:40 min
- Inserting Foam - 15:54 min
- Closing Foam Opening - 18:53 min
- Materials List - 22:52 min
- Dura Skrim® Patterning Material 74" (5 Yds) - (#122463)
- Decor & Upholstery Fabric from Sailrite - we used Covington Bronx Fuchsia Fabric - (#107058)
- Medium 5/32" Welting Cord (50 FT) - (#122444)
- High Density Polyurethane Foam (Extra Firm) 1" x 24" x 80" - (#281X2480)
- Cushion Wrap Silk Film 54" - (#103933)
- Sewing Gauge Ruler 6" - (#102995)
- Scribe‑All® Black Marking Pencil for Vinyl - (#121977)
- Rotary Cutter 28mm - (#139900)
- Self Healing Rotary Cutting Mat 24" x 36" - (#120257)
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" - (#102400)
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LS‑1 PLUS Walking Foot Sewing Machine - (#300502)
- Ultrafeed® Collapsible Sewing Table - (#104821)
- Coats Dual Duty XP® General Purpose Thread - we used Pink - (#104962)
- Gingher® 8" Scissors Right Handed - (#19104)
- Seam Ripper Deluxe - (#18104)
- Left Roping Zipper Foot for Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LS‑1 Sewing Machine - (#905)
- Marker, Shop-Vac