DIY Vinyl Flooring Installation in an RV
Say your home or RV needs new sheet flooring. You've already picked out a nice vinyl mesh flooring, and it just needs measured, cut and installed. That’s something you can DIY! This no-sew project doesn’t require any special skill set. And we know a large-scale project like this may sound daunting, but trust us — if we can do it, you can do it. Our how-to video will walk you through every single step of installing vinyl mesh flooring in your home, RV or boat.
Our Chilewich vinyl mesh flooring looks great next to the blue cabinet and couch!
Why vinyl mesh flooring? We're so glad you asked. Vinyl mesh is extremely durable, so it's ideal for high-traffic areas. It is also resistant to mold, mildew and moisture — all traits that make it great for boats and outdoor spaces, as well as water-adjacent indoor areas such as kitchens. It features a weather-resistant foam backing that adds cushion. And it's easy to clean and will add a high-end look wherever you install it.
Vinyl mesh isn’t just for full-room flooring either. It’s a perfect option for floor mats — just bind the edges and you’ll have a professional-looking custom mat that you can place wherever you want. For all these reasons, vinyl mesh is one of the best RV flooring options in our minds.
We chose Chilewich Basketweave flooring for our project. (Infinity woven vinyl flooring is also a good option.) We installed this vinyl RV flooring in our 1987 Airstream Argosy RV, but you can use the steps we'll show you in the video to install this flooring anywhere you'd like. You'll learn how to measure your space and create a pattern, how to cut and install the flooring, and how to add finishing pieces to make the installed flooring look seamless.
You can also look forward to helpful tips to make your project smoother. Have some fabric remnants left over? No worries — we'll share ideas for how to keep it from going to waste. We also have helpful tricks for patterning a large area, fitting your patterning material to corners and more.
There's a wealth of information waiting for you in this how-to video, and we're here to help you every step of the way. Your next weekend project is waiting — so watch the video now to get started!
If you want to view more projects in our RV Renovation Series, click here!
- Intro — 0:00 min.
- Measuring for Required Flooring — 1:13 min.
- Making a Pattern — 6:17 min.
- Cutting the Flooring to Size — 17:35 min.
- Installing the Flooring — 21:44 min.
- Adding Transition/Seam Binder Strips — 24:49 min.
- Stapling Flooring & Adding Quarter Round — 27:13 min.
- Using Scrap for Drawer Liners — 30:15 min.
- Materials & Tools List — 32:35 min.
- Filament Strapping Tape 3/4" (#5643)
- Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape for Canvas (50 yds.) (#129)
- Dura-Skrim® Patterning Material 74" (#103134)
- Vinyl Mesh Flooring from Sailrite — We used Chilewich Basketweave Oyster 72" (#106735)
- 21 Gauge 3/8" (10mm) Staples 10,000/Box (Stainless Steel) (#8010SS)
- Gingher® 8" Scissors Right Handed (#19104)
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" (#102400)
- Chalk Pen White (#123131)
- Sailrite® Long Nose Upholstery Staple Gun (#121411)
- Professional Stainless Steel 10" Scissors (#123615)
- Tape Measure, Marker, Fluted 72" x 1-1/4", Seam Binder (from hardware store), Hammer, 18-Gauge Pneumatic Brad Nailer