Easy Barstool Reupholstery — No Wrinkles
Ready for a quick and easy DIY project? If you have a plain, uncomfortable wooden barstool, we'll teach you how to add a layer of quality seating foam and a vinyl cover. Dress up your boring barstool with this fun afternoon DIY!
In this easy DIY video, we'll teach you how to add foam to a plain wooden barstool and upholster it with quality vinyl fabric. Our DIY method creates a beautiful topstitch along the top and bottom of the stool. Plus, our clever design eliminates those annoying wrinkles on the underside of the stool that must be stretched and stapled flat. Let's get started on this easy upholstery DIY.
We're using EverSoft™ Indoor/Outdoor Vinyl Fabric for our barstool reupholstery project. EverSoft is a great choice for home, patio, marine, and automotive seating and upholstery. EverSoft's four-way stretch properties mean it's very easy to contour and shape during upholstery work, stapling and tacking while retaining a soft and supple feel. It's easy to clean and waterproof with superior UV, abrasion and mildew resistance. With two texture patterns to choose from in a classic color palette, there's an EverSoft fabric perfect for your next upholstery project.
Watch the video below to learn how to reupholster a barstool using Sailrite tools and supplies. Below the video is the full materials and tools list. Everything you need to DIY for your home, patio, boat and more can be found right here at Sailrite. We're your one-stop shop for fabric, foam, tools, notions and our own line of proprietary sewing machines, as well as the free video and blog resources to help you with all of your DIY projects.
What did you think of this easy reupholstered stool tutorial? Are you looking for other upholstery projects? We have dozens of videos on how to reupholster a sofa, armchair, recliner and more. We even have automotive and marine upholstery tutorials as well. Whatever kind of DIY project you're looking for, you can find it on the Sailrite website.
- Intro - 0:00 min.
- Cutting Foam to Size - 0:51 min.
- Patterning Vinyl Fabric - 3:04 min.
- Sewing Boxing to Top - 6:38 min.
- Sewing Staple Flange to Assembly - 12:47 min.
- Adding Foam to Edge of Wooden Seat (Optional) - 16:36 min.
- Stapling Vinyl Fabric in Place - 20:36 min.
- Materials & Tools List - 24:08 min.
- CushionRite® Standard Antimicrobial Foam (Medium) - SKU: 124231
- EverSoft™ Indoor/Outdoor 54" Vinyl Fabric - We used Teak SKU: 124475 (Smooth) or SKU: 122218
- Tex 70 or Tex 90 Thread from Sailrite
- Headliner Adhesive 13 oz. - SKU: 123288
- 21 Gauge 3/8" (10mm) Staples 10,000/Box (Galvanized) - SKU: 8010GZ
- Sailrite® Blade Foam Saw V2 with Carrying Case (110V) - SKU: 121244
- Sailrite® Foam Shaper - SKU: 123583
- Scribe-All® Black Marking Pencil for Vinyl - SKU: 121977
- Clear Acrylic Ruler 6" x 24" - SKU: 102400
- Gingher® Scissors Right Hand Lightweight 8" - SKU: 101017
- Sailrite® Canvas Patterning Ruler - SKU: 107040
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® LSZ Walking Foot Sewing Machine (100-230V) - SKU: 300600
- Magnetic Sewing Guide - SKU: 102983
- Basic Thread Snips - SKU: 123222
- Sailrite® Ultrafeed® Industrial Sewing Table - SKU: 120934
- Sailrite® Double-Sided Cutting Mat 36" x 24" Extra Large - SKU: 123113
- Sailrite® Short Nose Upholstery Staple Gun - SKU: 121410
- Marker, Razor Blade Knife